Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures to bore you of the latest batch of 8 block planes.

Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Get a laser engraver and personalize them and you're in business!! Then you move on to a CNC to cut the parts easier and faster to meet the demand!!

Love the shape and finish.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Beautiful batch...tiger maple...?

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is a heck of a good way to use up scrap that are at least 2 1/4"WX7 1/4" L I found a pile of it under the drum sander and started using it up.

The last one pictured is a reject that I had to go into save mode to make presentable.

I mis measured the hole for the brass rod that holds the wedge and had to redrill the hole farther forward. I plugged the first hole with a piece of dowel before redrilling. To save it I inset a penny on each side to cover the booboo. So that is my 2-cent plane.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
what they all said except for the laser and CNC...
don't turn these into impersonal exact production no craftsmanship copies Herb..
your dragonfly speaks volumes...
stay the course...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Beautiful planes Herb.Seeing the eight new ones lined up in the last picture reminded me of a litter of pups.Great work. James.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
This is a heck of a good way to use up scrap that are at least 2 1/4"WX7 1/4" L I found a pile of it under the drum sander and started using it up.

The last one pictured is a reject that I had to go into save mode to make presentable.

I mis measured the hole for the brass rod that holds the wedge and had to redrill the hole farther forward. I plugged the first hole with a piece of dowel before redrilling. To save it I inset a penny on each side to cover the booboo. So that is my 2-cent plane.

Herb

...can't see it from my house...

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Ok, can't help myself, marketing hat is on. The packaging of these is what will make the big difference. I'd consider finding an elegant cardboard box just a little bit larger than the planes, then lay in a bit of black foam with the shape of the plane cut out. A tag with the story of traditional wooden hand planes printed out on a heavy vellum.

Take a picture of yourself using the plane with shavings, dressed in pretty traditional looking garb, printed in black and white so it looks old. Something like the attached picture, or printed in . You may be able to add some sort of texture to overlay the picture to give it more age.

Pack the top with plain newsprint (wrapping material for movers) so it doesn't move around in shipping, and sell it on ebay or some other site as a traditional hand made wooden hand plane, an heirloom piece to pass down from woodworker dad to woodworking son. A limited run for the connoisseur. Honoring the tradition of classic woodworking with modern metalurgy.

If it were me, I'd try to find a stash of old newspapers so the recipient is surprised by the age of the papers. Nice touch.

I would include some pictures of classic furniture made mainly with hand tools and planes to make the point of tradition. The appeal isn't to men only, many women would love to give their woodworking husbands who have every possible tool, something unusual like this.

If you made a couple of matching hardwood "hammers" for adjusting the blade, with instructions on how to use it, you could put togeter a kit and charge $100 and up for the kit. Google Elegant Packaging Boxes for images and links to something fancy.

As I said, I can't help myself when I see such an obvious income potential where the game is all about marketing the romance of the thing. It's both traditional and practical, ready to use after sharpening. Or ship it sharp, but put in a note to be careful, it's sharp

Don't know about you Herb, but my shop budget would benefit from $700 in income from scraps.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts

Herb

heck i'll give you a quarter for the 2¢ one

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, can't help myself, marketing hat is on. The packaging of these is what will make the big difference. I'd consider finding an elegant cardboard box just a little bit larger than the planes, then lay in a bit of black foam with the shape of the plane cut out. A tag with the story of traditional wooden hand planes printed out on a heavy vellum.

Take a picture of yourself using the plane with shavings, dressed in pretty traditional looking garb, printed in black and white so it looks old. Something like the attached picture, or printed in . You may be able to add some sort of texture to overlay the picture to give it more age.

Pack the top with plain newsprint (wrapping material for movers) so it doesn't move around in shipping, and sell it on ebay or some other site as a traditional hand made wooden hand plane, an heirloom piece to pass down from woodworker dad to woodworking son. A limited run for the connoisseur. Honoring the tradition of classic woodworking with modern metalurgy.

If it were me, I'd try to find a stash of old newspapers so the recipient is surprised by the age of the papers. Nice touch.

I would include some pictures of classic furniture made mainly with hand tools and planes to make the point of tradition. The appeal isn't to men only, many women would love to give their woodworking husbands who have every possible tool, something unusual like this.

If you made a couple of matching hardwood "hammers" for adjusting the blade, with instructions on how to use it, you could put togeter a kit and charge $100 and up for the kit. Google Elegant Packaging Boxes for images and links to something fancy.

As I said, I can't help myself when I see such an obvious income potential where the game is all about marketing the romance of the thing. It's both traditional and practical, ready to use after sharpening. Or ship it sharp, but put in a note to be careful, it's sharp

Don't know about you Herb, but my shop budget would benefit from $700 in income from scraps.

Hey Tom, you might be on to something,already got an offer on one, from twmv86 for $ .25, man, I am going to make a killing here, after I deduct the $ .02 ,will leave me $ .23 profit. Not counting the free labor and materials. LMAO.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hey Tom, you might be on to something,already got an offer on one, from twmv86 for $ .25, man, I am going to make a killing here, after I deduct the $ .02 ,will leave me $ .23 profit. Not counting the free labor and materials. LMAO.

Herb
I'l double your money on that 2¢ plane..

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Where are you getting all the blade stock from, Herb? I wasn't clear on whether you're making the blades from scratch, or getting them from a source?
Making the blades would take as long as making the plane bodies!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts