Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been a hectic week around the property with most time spent taking care of sick animals. Just so draining. Got paint and stain finally on The Harley Davidson Panhead Sign. Pretty pleased overall the way it turned out. Going to get a couple coats of clear on it later today so I can get it up on the wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
you should be pleased....
that looks great...

Reactions: BobbyLee

·
Registered
675 Posts
Bobby Lee - the human CNC!!!
Very nice work!!! You set the bar high on this one!!!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Very nice...the bike and eagles seem to hover over the wood...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I just showed it to my wife and told her our son-in-law (a Harley owner/enthusiast) might like one. Seems her self-confidence and enthusiasm are somewhat low at this point - much as she loves him! BTW: She and I love it - and your other work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bobby-
What type of router and router base pplate did you use for this work?
Thanks,
Cabbie
Jim I used a Dewalt DWP611 Router along with a Profile Bit for the font and a SC-50 Line Carving Bit for the Eagles and Motorcycle. Base Plate Is an oval base plate ordered from Dave and Eric Rhoten from makeawoodsign.com Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Paul
1,861 Posts
Your artwork for the bike looked too complex, I thought 'that's gonna be tough to cut'. You did a great job though, BonnyLee.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bobby Lee - the human CNC!!!
Very nice work!!! You set the bar high on this one!!!
Thanks Frank for the huge compliment. I think being compared to a CNC has to be one of the highest tribute honors in this trade craft.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your artwork for the bike looked too complex, I thought 'that's gonna be tough to cut'. You did a great job though, BonnyLee.
Thanks Paul. I knew right from the start it was going to be a challenging piece. But I'm glad I took on the challenge, as I now know I can push the envelope even further now. And I'm going to continue to push myself to take this to the highest possible level that I can. I've only been at this for about 2 1/2 months now. But being disabled as I am, it has been widely therapeutic for me. Once again I can feel productive in my life.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Earlier I said "Very nice" now I have no words to describe it. It is better than fantastic, awesome or anything else I can think of.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really, really good, Bobby. Did you have any problems using the SC-50 in oak?
Jim I didn't notice any problems. I did go shallow and made several passes. Then after seeing a post from a member of one of my other sign sites that he broke off a tiny bit of the tip the 1st time he touched wood with his. I did a bit closer examination of my bit ( eyesight is very very poor) and noticed a tiny fraction of my tip is gone as well. But not sure if it was done on this piece or a piece before this one. So I'll send it in next month on the 1st to be resharpened. Probably order a 2nd one to keep on hand like my 2 profile bits so I always have one on hand. I plan on ordering doubles of my 60 & 90 degree V-groove as well when I can.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
BobbyLee,

Where do you send your bits to get sharpened? What do they charge?

HJ

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Earlier I said "Very nice" now I have no words to describe it. It is better than fantastic, awesome or anything else I can think of.
Thanks Richard. Any and all those words work for me. I guess the hardest part for me is deciding what to do next. I'm waiting on my moisture meter and visor magnifier to show up from harbor freight so I can check the western red cedar that I bought that has been drying out. Because I have to make up a bunch of (probably 15-20) common signs to put in the neighbor lady's Antiques, Primitive & Crafts Mall for sale so I can start pulling in some money.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts