Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm building a rifle display case and decided I would incorporate a hidden latch for the door. So I cut the feet, latch, holes, and pocket for the latch on the CNC. Sort of a different project, more just doing a little engineered machining with the most appropriate tool in our shop for that purpose.

So here's a short video of cutting the pocket on the edge of the bottom board -

Enjoy!
David

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
:) Great job David, nice to see you use different approaches to things
If you got it flaunt it!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Clever solution, David. I'm not positive, but the only bug in how you clamped it down appeared to let the board move a bit forward and back. I could see what looked like a little jump when the bit reached the end of the slot. Then it would jump back the other direction when it hit the other end. It didn't appear to be of any negative consequence though.

On my Meteor that has a 4th axis I've used the bed beam to clamp long boards to standing up. The width of of the boards is only limited by the distance to the floor, so getting the top edge within the CNC's cutting area is pretty easy. Open up that CNC bed and you've got a whole new world of possibilities to play with. ;)

4D

·
Administrator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tricky. I'm too lazy to do something like that, I'd have gone with something along these lines.
Magnetic Secret Latch - Lee Valley Tools
I'm not familiar with the term, Theo. Lazy? Never mind, I'll look it up. I don't 'do' lazy. :wink:

Whenever possible, which is often, I'll come up with a different approach or method because I like the creative process - to have an idea, work out the process steps, and develop that idea into reality is far more satisfying to me than buying something ready made that anyone with a buck or two can go purchase.

But I do like the hidden magnetic latch idea, have seen it before. I may come up with my own version to use sometime... :nerd:

David

·
Administrator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clever solution, David. I'm not positive, but the only bug in how you clamped it down appeared to let the board move a bit forward and back. I could see what looked like a little jump when the bit reached the end of the slot. Then it would jump back the other direction when it hit the other end. It didn't appear to be of any negative consequence though.

On my Meteor that has a 4th axis I've used the bed beam to clamp long boards to standing up. The width of the boards is only limited by the distance to the floor, so getting the top edge within the CNC's cutting area is pretty easy. Open up that CNC bed and you've got a whole new world of possibilities to play with. ;)

4D
Thanks, 4D! The board isn't moving, it is secured with two screws into the 2x4 on the right side.
Table Wood Games Furniture Steel

What you're seeing is the small amount of flex in the stand in the Y direction. The frame is rock solid but I have allowed for a small amount of give in the stand to keep the machine from walking on the floor and to lessen the impact during rapid changes in direction. It's more noticeable in short cuts like this, though.

I keep the thought that one day I'll add a rotary 4th axis and also that I will take advantage of the removable sections of the bed but I have yet to have time to do either one. The bed is removable in two sections at the front specifically for what you've mentioned but I have yet to have a project where I need to remove either or both sections. Ah, well, one day...

David

·
Registered
Rick
17,592 Posts
Great job David . I love your video editing with the screen in screen like that .
I think you came up with a very clever solution for the lock , and you did a great setup for holding the part . This certainly shows what’s involved to do it right , thanks again for sharing ;)

·
Administrator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it is not secure, John. But that's not my problem - it's theirs. I think the latch is just to keep kids and curious neighbors from opening the door to 'get a better' look. It will be set on the mantle and easily accessible but unless they reveal how to open the door I doubt anyone will think of rotating the foot. The case will have 1/8" glass so even if someone wanted the rifle out of the case the glass is easy to break.

I don't display firearms, either. This particular Henry 45 is a retirement gift and will likely never be fired.

David

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
But I do like the hidden magnetic latch idea, have seen it before. I may come up with my own version to use sometime... :nerd:
David
Yeah, I really like the magnetic latch, but in reality would not buy one. Just too many options on making your own, that I think are stronger, not as complex (read less likely to malfunction) and certainly cheaper. I have seen various examples of home designed/built versions, so if I ever get to that point, will start doing some more researching on the subject, and see if anyone has something for inspiration.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would not display firearms.

Even if they where totally unusable.

This attracts bad people,

one of my friends got his hunting guns stolen .

BTW:
Henry 45 seems to be a nice and a powerful one.

Regards
Gérard

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Reactions: difalkner

·
Administrator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would not display firearms.

Even if they where totally unusable.

This attracts bad people,

one of my friends got his hunting guns stolen .

BTW:
Henry 45 seems to be a nice and a powerful one.

Regards
Gérard
Can't attract bad people if they don't advertise where it is and how it's displayed. Now if they put it in full view of the street, leave the curtains or blinds open, and make it obvious to outside nosy onlookers, i.e. bad people, then yes it can be attractive to them. But cars get stolen, lawn mowers from the shed or back yard, bicycles in garages, etc., if bad people want something bad enough it doesn't matter what that 'something' is they're gonna try to take it.

I don't display firearms, either, and wouldn't unless it's something really old that won't fire.

A .45 anything has to be powerful, I would think!! :wink:

David

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The Gander Mountain stores had a big sign over the safe and locker display- With rights come responsibilities.
Three of the twelve firearms (we didn't call them guns in the Army) were my grandfather's. They were taken in March, 1970. They are gone! If you have firearms do the following-
1. Photograph them.
2. Write a complete description of each one- manufacturer, model number, caliber/gauge, any accessories as slings, scopes. etc.
3. Keep a copy in a secure place at home and give a copy to your insurance agent. When we turned in our claim, we had to sue the insurance company as they claimed we didn't have the firearms.
4. WHEN they are stolen, the information is turned into a national listing. If you are extremely lucky, they MIGHT be found but don't count on it. IF they are old firearms and have no serial numbers, according to a gunsmith friend who tried to buy a rare firearm from the BATFE, they will be destroyed. He even offered to put a BATFE approved serial number on it but they refused.
I'm in the process of writing the new Hunter Education student manual for the state of TN. The old one we used had firearms in a rack in a closet with cable locks (locks are for honest people). The new manual has them in a safe. My plan is to show a picture with a safe and state why a safe is highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have 4 sisters. Just one had the habit of hosting parties in her apartment for just about any occasion. She was also the one who repeatedly had her apartment broken into and property stollen. Almost always the break in would happen within one or two days after she had held a party. It was pretty obvious to me that the thief had been someone who had been in her apartment and knew what she had that he/she wanted.

Now my sister never owned a gun or kept drugs or wads of cash in her apartment. The stuff that was stolen includes a vacuum cleaner, kitchen gadgets, decorative trinkets, etc. Stuff you could easily pawn for cash or just keep and use yourself.

My point is that once people know what you have then a chance grows that someone will want to steal it.

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Know of a guy who keeps his firearms in a safe. The safe is in his living room. In front of a plate glass window. The shades/curtains are open. The light is on 24/7. All of his neighbors have been instructed to immediately call the police, if the lights are off, or the curtain is closed, because that will mean he is being robbed. Sounds about as good a solution as any, and better than a lot.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What i'm waiting for is David hitting the ends of the boards w/ Dovetails
or maybe some simple yet complex box joints. CNC is the gateway drug
to making wicked things Theo. Join us, it's a trip man. Lol.... :nerd:

@chessnut2 Do it... just make sure you have it supported. Don't
need anything flying.

Kinda beat as some are limited to a certain height depending on their machines.
I sometimes see that you can get riser blocks that elevate your spindle majingie
but still maintain the same Z movement. Why is that? Maybe for table jigs
or for a vacuum pad?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.