Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a picnic basket and have sprayed it with shellac in a rattle can. I like the way it made the wood grain pop but what I don't like is it being so glossy, so can I spray satin lacquer over shellac?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
rub the glossy out w/ extra fine non-woven pad..

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Terry it is dewaxed shellac. It's Bullseye Shellac in a can.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have any pictures of the build, that is really neat. Kind of looks like thin cedar strips, and how do you hold them while you weave them?
Herb
Herb, I used Ash to build it because Ash bends pretty good. I still had to soak a few in water, it really bends well when you soak it. I did six dry runs before using glue trying to get the thin strips in the frame. Here is a video explaining more on how it's done.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I've used de-waxed shellac under many other finishes, but between coats of anything, I like to scuff the surface some to make the next layer adhere better. For this basket I would use a 0000 steel wool pad, or 220 or finer sandpaper, just to break the shine a bit. It's most important to improve the layer bond in places that could be scratched or rubbed, so what you can reach with the steel wool or sandpaper should be good enough. Then blow it all off with compressed air and put whatever you want as the next coat, so long as this next coat is not alcohol based, like the shellac.

Yes, you did a great job at building the basket. I doubt that I would even try making one.

Charley

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've used de-waxed shellac under many other finishes, but between coats of anything, I like to scuff the surface some to make the next layer adhere better. For this basket I would use a 0000 steel wool pad, or 220 or finer sandpaper, just to break the shine a bit. It's most important to improve the layer bond in places that could be scratched or rubbed, so what you can reach with the steel wool or sandpaper should be good enough. Then blow it all off with compressed air and put whatever you want as the next coat, so long as this next coat is not alcohol based, like the shellac.

Yes, you did a great job at building the basket. I doubt that I would even try making one.

Charley

Thanks Charley.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts