Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a coffee table of Indian Rosewood and maple. I have used linseed oil on both woods with good results - brings out the natural colors and grain without adding color. But the coffee table needs to liquid and scratch resistant. Suggestions? Hank

·
Official Greeter
18,892 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts

·
Official Greeter
18,892 Posts
Hi Dan, I bow to you superior experience in these matters, but will Tung Oil help to make the surface scratch resistant?

That is what I was focusing on.....

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Hi Dan, I bow to you superior experience in these matters, but will Tung Oil help to make the surface scratch resistant?

That is what I was focusing on.....
James

I have used many finishes and have yet to find one that will not scratch. There are numerous finishes that can be applied as both you and I have cited in our post. To say one is better than the other is harsh, I would leave it up to the person and what they are comfortable doing.

I just tried this and it was so easy to apply I was astonished to be honest. It also allows you to apply two coats in half a day.

What I would recommend to Peter is use some scrap pieces and conduct his own experiment and as they say the proof is in the pudding!

·
Official Greeter
18,892 Posts
Point taken, Dan. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Consider adding a glass top to the table.
Possibly tempered.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think I'd use the linseed oil you are comfortable with to bring out the grain. Make sure it flashes off completely and then put on a clear top coat.

I'm pretty happy with General Finishes polyacrylic. I've used this water based product on a few projects and been very happy. Because it's water based I'm not afraid to use it in the house during the winter. It dries quickly, you can do a couple coats a day with very light sanding in between. It does require 3 coats to look good. I apply with a paint brush or paint pad. It's available in gloss, semi-gloss and satin.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'd use the linseed oil you are comfortable with to bring out the grain. Make sure it flashes off completely and then put on a clear top coat.

I'm pretty happy with General Finishes polyacrylic. I've used this water based product on a few projects and been very happy. Because it's water based I'm not afraid to use it in the house during the winter. It dries quickly, you can do a couple coats a day with very light sanding in between. It does require 3 coats to look good. I apply with a paint brush or paint pad. It's available in gloss, semi-gloss and satin.
Thanks for all the info. Will a water-based acrylic work after applying linseed oil?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts