Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just routed three signs. One for each grand kid, with their name. I used the Rockler State Park template set. My first. Time doing template routing.

Now I have to think about finishing. I think I will paint the letters black, the sand the sign.

What would be good for the background? Stain (suggestions), oil, poly?

Should I do the background before painting, or afterwards, and then sand?

Should I use sanding sealer, then the paint, and then...... ?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Painting then sanding is probably the best.
For the next one, I'd put a sanding sealer on before routing. Then you could paint and wouldn't need as much sanding.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Painting then sanding is probably the best.
For the next one, I'd put a sanding sealer on before routing. Then you could paint and wouldn't need as much sanding.
Yeah, I didn't realize I should seal before routing. How about spraying acrylic coat now, then paint letters with acrylic paint?

These will be bedroom signs, not outdoor, if that makes any difference.

How about stain on the poplar field?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Paint the letters first.
You can be a little bit sloppy as the sanding (or planing if you have a planer) will remove any sloppiness/over spray.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the finish of Polycrylic for the signs I am doing, but the spray spits. Is this typical?

·
Registered
577 Posts
On my next signs which will also be for the grand kids bedrooms, I plan to spray a coat of clear lacquer or acrylic before painting the letters as I feel that would require less sanding to remove over spray from the letters. After that any coat of clear should suffice, :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice and information.

(Sssh, don't tell them, they are for Christmas)

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
18,892 Posts
I am sure the recipients will be pleased, Steve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts