Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first sign and I made it using my homemade Copycarver.
I made a pattern out of 1/4 luan and used luan scraps to raise the logo and lettering.
There are mistakes, and I learned a lot making this first sign.
I initially used a 1/8 bit to outline all the raised area and then used a 1/2 inch bit to do the rest of the relief work. One thing I will change for next time is, I will do my routing in layers rather than hogging it all out at one time.
Another change is that I will wax my pattern to make sure that the follower glides smoothly over the surface.
Using a hot glue gun to attach the letters was a good thing because I could set one letter with hot glue, and almost immediately press a spacer nest to that letter to set the next.
Here are a couple pictures.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,914 Posts
Looks like that came out well,
how long does that take to do a sign that size

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The actual routing took less than an hour. The template on the other hand took me a couple days. All I had to work with was a 1 x 1 inch picture of the logo I got off the Cinch Gaming - eSports Tournament Game Controllers website. When you blow something that is so small up to actual size it is very fuzzy and cannot be used as a pattern.
This sign is for my son, so labor was no issue.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Great result, John.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The sign indicates your effort to build the machine was well worth while. That said, I like the under-cut effect on the pattern too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sign indicates your effort to build the machine was well worth while. That said, I like the under-cut effect on the pattern too.
It is interesting you would mention that. The undercut look is from me gluing blocks under the pattern to raise it up, but I am thinking that it would also be interesting to try a dovetail bit in the router to undercut the finished sign.

·
Registered
Theo
7,136 Posts
Well, I think the whole project came out quite nicely, sign, copy carver, et al. Way to go.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,873 Posts
Looks good John.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You've got what I need, John.... MOTIVATION!
Looks really good - Well done!!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Nice job, John! Looks Amazing!

·
Registered
692 Posts
On my flicker pages (Imagination Unincorporated) is a picture of glass etch I did using my projector. It's of a bucking horse and you can see minute details, like the checks on the rider's shirt. That was done using the customer's belt buckle in my SeeRite projector.

Sometimes, when I need more adjustment control, I extend the lens using a cardboard oatmeal container. Just cut the end out and support the contraption.

Now, a few decades later, I have two more projectors that pale the Seerite, because of their remarkable optics and light sources. Ironically, they cost only a few dollars each (a fraction of what I paid for the Seerite thirty-five years ago) at second hand stores. So, keep your eyes peeled. Consider a want ad on craigslist too.

The actual routing took less than an hour. The template on the other hand took me a couple days. All I had to work with was a 1 x 1 inch picture of the logo I got off the Cinch Gaming - eSports Tournament Game Controllers website. When you blow something that is so small up to actual size it is very fuzzy and cannot be used as a pattern.
This sign is for my son, so labor was no issue.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
When you blow something that is so small up to actual size it is very fuzzy and cannot be used as a pattern.
I solved that problem with film and a projector.
I used b&w film but color would do just fine. The market has dropped out of the bottom for film cameras -- cheap cheap cheap. Close up lens set can be had for under $20.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts