Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a simple sign but my wife liked it. I am learning to use my air brush a little at a time. I have never used a paint gun of any kind so this is brand new. I think maybe when I learn more it will be nice to have. The real big plus is there is less paint to sand and boy do I like that.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that's a cool sign Don..

Reactions: BobbyLee

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
That's pretty darn nice looking. I have an air brush here.. somewhere... never used it. Bought it about 20 years ago, long before I ever thought of woodworking. Might have to break it out.

What type of paint? Oil base, or water? A friend of mine made and painted goalie masks for his sons and he used those little plastic bottles of water based hobby paint with good results.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I like the sign and especially like the text on it. I find that to be a very true statement. As Lincoln said "most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. "

·
Registered
577 Posts
I used my air brush on one sign then went back to my old way. But it sure does require a lot less sanding. :smile:
I really should try that again.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty darn nice looking. I have an air brush here.. somewhere... never used it. Bought it about 20 years ago, long before I ever thought of woodworking. Might have to break it out.

What type of paint? Oil base, or water? A friend of mine made and painted goalie masks for his sons and he used those little plastic bottles of water based hobby paint with good results.
Brian you can use either oil or water base paints. I am using water based paints now. They sell paints for air brushes but I bet you can use the Walmart paint.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
If you apply a finish (poly etc.) to the wood before you carve the lettering, you can spray the lettering and then used a rag with thinner to wipe the colors off of the flat finished surface before it's completely dry, leaving the colors in the carving. The beauty of doing it this way is that you don't need any masking. I do this frequently when power relief carving. I sometimes even carve into factory built and finished furniture, adding a name or image to it to personalize it, or sometimes to a piece that I have built and finished. I usually use oil stains darker than the background wood, but acrylic, oil, or water based paints will also work well, and the air brush will put on just a very thin coat (tint) if you want to. It's just a tiny precision paint sprayer.

Charley

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you apply a finish (poly etc.) to the wood before you carve the lettering, you can spray the lettering and then used a rag with thinner to wipe the colors off of the flat finished surface before it's completely dry, leaving the colors in the carving. The beauty of doing it this way is that you don't need any masking. I do this frequently when power relief carving. I sometimes even carve into factory built and finished furniture, adding a name or image to it to personalize it, or sometimes to a piece that I have built and finished. I usually use oil stains darker than the background wood, but acrylic, oil, or water based paints will also work well, and the air brush will put on just a very thin coat (tint) if you want to. It's just a tiny precision paint sprayer.

Charley
That is a great idea Charley. I am going to try it. Thanks for the post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts