Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good Morning Paraider,

I'm sure you'll get many responses to your request for advice and it's a qauestion that lots of people ask. It's also a question that is answered with several questions. The main question I have is, does he currently own a router? I'll assume that he does not. My recommendation would be to get him a Porter Cable combination pack router set. The Porter Cable (PC) 890 series routers come with enough power to do most work that a new person will want to tackle. The 890 series also gives the woodworker 2 routers in 1. A fixed base router and a plunge base router. Other router manufacturers offer the combination packs and most of them are good routers too. I prefer Porter Cable but others prefer other brands. It's a matter of feel and that varies from person to person. Good luck on deciding what you'll purchase and I look forward to seeing other suggestions you receive.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hi,

I see this was your first post so let me say welcome to the forum!

A lot of good router brands and models on the market. I would advise a gift certificate and a picture of a router and let the person that will be using the route pick out what features and feel they like. I know that is way toooo practical and it it's a lot more fun to have a big box to open with this router in it so I will ask that you look at:
www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=1045
(Just click the link)
I own two of these now and love them. Everytime I turn it on I'm suprised at how quiet they are (in terms of routers). Anyway if I had to have only one gereral purpose router that would be my pick.

As far as the routers used on the show..... depends on the shows you are watching, they have used various routers over the years. The current ones are Porter Cable.

Ed

·
Registered
82 Posts
I see they are using Porter-cable cordless. on the show..There are many good routers out there..its really a hard question to answer..I have a Porter-Cable 694 and 690 Bosch 1617 and freud.They are all different but all do a good job.
Will he be using it in a table. handheld or both?
If he uses it both, then look for a Combo pack..That way he can leave the base in the table and slide the motor out, and insert it into the plunge base and use it handheld..Very easy and a fast change over.
You can also buy bases that have extended Micro adjusters, that make it easier to adjust the router while in the table.

Hope this helps..
Hickory

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.