Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my bits and tried out the router and table I got used locally. Started with a scrap piece of wood and a 3/8" round over bit. I started with the bit fairly low just to see what it would do. Went slow and easy. Eye protection, ear muffs, dust control, and used a push stick too. Then I raised the bit a little and ran it through again. I did this a few times on a couple of different sides of the same piece of wood just checking out the different profiles you can get from the same bit. It was great to play with it and see what can be done. No injuries and no mess either thanks to the shop vac.

I recently, like in the past two months, got into woodworking and bought a table saw and a miter saw and wanted to start using and playing with some of the Micro Jig stuff especially the Match Fit so that's why I got the router.

So next I got the "project" I am working on and routed a dovetail into the fence I was making for the router table. Wow those bits sure make a mess! It was successful but messy. Any recommendations on how to captures all the sawdust when routing dovetails? This Match Fit stuff is all about the dovetail tracks so I know I'll be making many more and would like to do a better job on dust collection.

Anyway, it was all a success and the equipment worked well. I'll be doing several more dovetails tomorrow for the table and fence I am making for the drill press I recently bought.

I'm having a lot of fun because the tools I bought are good enough to make me successful. Before I bought the Dewalt job site miter and table saws all I had was a circular saw and trying to do anything precise with that just didn't happen so know I am really happy with my tools. My table saw is so spot on that I can actually use the tape measure on the table and it cuts very accurately. I am impressed. Builds my confidence that I can actually make something that doesn't look like Charlie Brown made it :)

Anyway, thanks for the great info on this forum. Just wanted to share my success story.

Michael

·
Registered
21,632 Posts
Great to have you aboard. It is really great fun experimenting, and I think you learn a lot doing it that way. Attached is a pdf of the 18 major (and many minor) things that sped up my learning curve. Maybe it will save you a few steps and dollars. Just remember, you don't have to get everything at once.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good to hear everything worked out safely Michael. Very new at this hobby myself and hope to be experimenting in the next several months.
I'm sure you will find that Tom's PDF is very informative and well presented. Certainly helps a newbie like myself.
Have fun and work safe.

·
Official Greeter
19,728 Posts
Glad to see you are happy with the results, so far, Michael.

It is an enjoyable hobby, if one is very careful...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@DesertRatTom Thank you for the PDF very helpful!

@Woodenhearted Welcome as well and have fun!

@jw2170 Thanks. Yes I am being careful.

Yesterday I did a dozen or so dovetails into the table I am making for the drill press and I placed the hose to my shop vac a couple inches away from the router bit and put a sandbag on top of it. As I pushed the table through the router bit it also pushed the hose along so in that way I was able to capture the sawdust except after the hose fell off the router table but hey it was a lot less to clean up! The matchfit stuff works as advertised so far. Really looking forward to using it more. I started making a fence for the router table so I can use the matchfit stuff on there as well - clamps, jigs, stop blocks, etc. And I also started on their "tall fence" for the table saw. So a few projects going...

Then my wife points out that one of the house windows has some termite damage on the outside wood ledge so I go take a look and start removing all the damaged wood. Another project! It will be interesting (to me) to figure out how to match the existing wood ledge and now I have to tools to do it! Router, table saw, miter saw, I'm all set! Gonna be a fun project and my wife will appreciate her investment :)

Well, off to the garage to glue some more stuff up before I trim it and route some dovetails.

Cheers!
Michael

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Michael.
This is a very addictive activity. Hope that everything goes well with your woodworking projects. We would like to see some pictures of them.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hi, Robert and Christine. Welcome to the forum.

Power tools deserve a lot of respect. Tom's advices are handy enough so, pay attention.

Please show to us some pictures of your projects.
You don't need to buy everything you need for your workshop, some of them are easy to DIY with materials you already have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts