Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have alot of 6" white oak plank flooring left over from my home renovation. I was thinking of making some draws out of them. I want to try rabbet-and-dadoing the corners. I'm not sure how a hardwood like this will react to my routing .(I am a beginner) Any tips? Or do you recommend me starting with something alittle bit easier like pine. (I have plenty of that too.)

Thanx

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well, should be some pretty nice heavy-duty drawers (assuming it's 3/4" stock flooring)!
I don't see why it should give you any more problems than pine - with harder woods, don't take deep or large cuts all at once - limit yourself to a MAX of about 1/4" at a time depending on the size bit (assume you'd use a 3/8" for 3/4" stock) - if it's chattering or vibrating you're taking too much material at once and back-off - use backer boards at the end of your cuts to prevent chipping (which you should do with any wood anyway) - use good quality carbide bits in particular with hard wood.
Personaly, I like working with Oak.
Take your time and enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Gilbear,
It is 3/4" stock. I have plans to make a rollout spice rack and pantry shelving after my heavy duty draws. I am a total beginner,I think I understand your tip,can You explain the use of backer boards to prevent chipping ?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
"Backer boards" - when you position a piece of sacraficial scrap wood tight against the end of your good work piece - as the bit leaves the end of the good piece it's cutting into the backer rather than just exiting the good piece - it "backs-up" the good edge preventing splintering and chipping, kind of like what a zero clearance insert does for a table or miter saw. It reinforces the end cut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.