Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, got to start somewhere. I saw a workbench fence on the internet and thought to myself...I can make something similar. So here it is. One side is 1 5/16 and the other is about 5/8. Two dowels have been drilled through the center and a T track bolt inserted and screwed into a T nut that has been threaded into the underside of the dowel.

I am not sure what happened, but I broke a bit during the operation. I was in the office when it happened. But It will be OK. Just a little character added to the project! :) And I made the T Track a little too wide, but that won't hurt a thing.

Drilling the dowel centers was the challenge. Using a piece of plywood, I made a jig. With it fastened to the table, the cnc cut the opening for the dowel to fit in. That took numerous attempts with small changes made each time until I got the hole just right - not too tight; not too loose. Then I removed the jig, reset the z axis zero to the bed height, and ran another file that bored a recessed hole in the mdf 1/2 inch deep. Now with the jig fastened down on the bed, the dowels fit perfectly and protrude a little so I can add some support if needed.

Ready to drill! One file drills both ends with a 1/4 inch hole. Drill, flip, drill. Then a separate file opens up the hole on one end to 5/16 inch. The T nut threaded on like it was made to be there!

Now I have a fence that I can fasten to the holes on my work bench in just about any fashion. I have used a "*******" version of this fence when assemblying cabinets by using a 2x4 and clamps so the carcase won't slide around on the table.

Hope you like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Should work just as good as the ones you used for inspiration.

They should be useful.

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Well done Mike and you know how I love photo-shoots and yours is good. Why don't more members do shoots like that SHOWING HOW they made their project, descriptions are one thing but photographs can't be beaten.

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well done Mike and you know how I love photo-shoots and yours is good. Why don't more members do shoots like that SHOWING HOW they made their project, descriptions are one thing but photographs can't be beaten.
Thanks Harry. I appreciate your thoughts. I enjoy taking pictures as much as anything I do. These days, the cell phone camera does a pretty good job for bench work! :) Quick and easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.