Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure out how I want to go for a new router and table set-up (I'm building the table). To date I've only had an old fixed base machine. I was under the impression that a fixed base in the table was best way to go, and I want a plunge base for hand work. Thought I'd see about the RouterRaizer for the table but they (Rockler) tell me it's only for plunge bases! Sooo ... now I'm thinking maybe a PC 895 combo. Questions are:
1. Is it true that fixed base is best in the table?
2. Are any of you using the 895, and if so, does the through the base adjustment work with the fixed base?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Hi Gilbear:

Rockler has their Router Lift FX #27956. They say in the catalog that you can use Porter Cable 680/890 ,Bosch 1617/1618 and DeWalt 610/616/618 routers

I have a Porter Cable 890 and was thinking about getting this lift.

It is just the router motor section that is used not the entire unit. The base does not need to be a plunge base as its not needed.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Roy!!
Those lifts start getting a little pricey ... I was looking at the RouterRaizer 'cause it was under $100 ... wife's getting edgy as it is! But since it only works with a plunge, it seemed like a waste to put it under the table. I'm hoping the 895 combo will get me where I want to go, which is why I'm asking - if the through the base height adjustment works with the fixed base, then maybe I'm there! I realy want to be able to adjust height above the table.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Gilbear:
Like i said i have a Porter Cable 890 fixed base but it has worm gear drive to rack gear for adjustment and with the Porter Cable extension, i can adjust the router (up or down) from the top of the table.

When i got this router it was a replacement for my 690 frixed base. The 890 came with a template so you could locate and drill the hole for the adustment of the rouer from the top of the table. The router lLift Fx #27956 is $179.99.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK Roy, I think I'm catching on ... thanks for the input. I may just forget the lift alltogether.
If you can already adjust from above the table, why do you want to add the Lift FX?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Well i was thinking about a larger table and if i built a larger table thats when i was thinking about the FX lift.
Iam not going to build a larger table, so no need for the lift.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Pat Warner ,in atleast one of his books, recommends a fixed base router for table use. Mr Rosedahl has said he wouldn't be buying many routers that weren't the plunge type. I have three router tables; one with a pc 7518 fixed base and two with plunge bases,one pc 890 and one triton. They all work very well and I wouldn't want to choose only one. Use whatever you are comfortable with.

Regards
Jerry

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had several people tell me that I should only put a fixed base under the table, and then I see set-ups at trade shows and in articles, as well as responses here, where they're using plunge bases under the table. My reason for asking is I'm shopping for my first plunge set-up now, while building a new, larger table. My wants are to be able to adjust height above the table and change bits above the table (I'm basicaly lazy). My thinking right now is to go with the PC 890 combo with the adjust knob extension, put the fixed base in the table with a large enough opening to change bits, and keep the plunge base for hand work. It doesn't seem like I'd need to spend the extra bucks for a lift if I go that way either. What say ye?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I guess it all depends upon how often one is intending to change the height of the same bit while making sawdust out of perfectly good wood <grin>. Myself, its not a problem to adjust the bit height from under the table (as increasing the depth of cut for multiple passes to achieve the final cut). The green router came with an extension knob to do this very quickly. The front of my table is open, therefore access is readily available and easy. Those with an enclosed "fancy" cabinet set-up might find a table top "raiser" advantageous.
steveo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.