Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had out Sunday School party last Friday. It was a gag/white elephant/pirate gift exchange. I got a motorcycle windshield! I'm trying to think of a way to flatten it for an insert for a routere table. I'm cheap- I don't want to buy plexiglass!:yes4:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've never seen a motorcycle windshield that was thick enough to make an insert out of. As far as flattening it, they bent it that way with heat. You can straighten it the same way.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hi John - I'm with Chuck, I doubt it's heavy enough for a router plate but you could make some nice jigs out of it.:)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, you guys have answered my question. Does anyone need a slightly used motorcycle windshield? :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm cheap,too. Think about it for awhile and find an application wehre less modification would be required. There must be a hundred in a shop, around the home or as has been suggested, sell it. Good luck.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you have a large armature/motor rewinding shop close to you, ask if you can place the plexi on a flat surface in their oven The slow baking heat will flatten it for you. Oldrusty

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The windshield is about 1/4 in. thick. Really heavy. Will cut a chunk and apply a heat gun and two pieces of heavy plywood and clamps. Worst I could do is to screw it up.
Garyk, had a MC about 49 years ago- took 19 years for the scars to disappear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts