Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to re-house a cutlery set into a double tiered box with lift-out trays.
As you can see from the attached pic the original tray was a simple moulded plastic with what I believe is a spray-on flock to simulate velvet coating.
Because the slots in the new trays will make it hard to cover with a sheet velvet finish I'd like to use a similar method of coating. Has anyone got any experience finishing wood this way? Any tips or suggestions? :confused:

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
I would be interested in the answer to this as well. I have seen flocking products for boxes but they didn't look like sprayed on velvet when done in my opinion. That might have been a velvetine material that was vaccumed down instead of a sprayed flocking.

Corey

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Amazing how coincidences happen. I am getting ready to build a trinket box and decided to go with flocking on the inside. The flocking and adhesive are the same color. You simply paint on the adhesive, let it get tacky and apply the flocking. All the fibers are 1/32" in length. This is also suggested for the bottom of projects instead of using felt. If you buy the small tube shaped pump for applying the flocking, a 3 oz. bag of fibers and an 8 oz can of adhesive you are looking at spending around $25 US from Woodcraft. This is the time to plan ahead, while the 3 oz bag is about $10, a 15 oz bag is $20. I'm sure there is a wide variety of products from other sources, I just happened to research this today.

·
2,392 Posts
aniceone2hold said:
Amazing how coincidences happen. I am getting ready to build a trinket box and decided to go with flocking on the inside. The flocking and adhesive are the same color. You simply paint on the adhesive, let it get tacky and apply the flocking. All the fibers are 1/32" in length. This is also suggested for the bottom of projects instead of using felt. If you buy the small tube shaped pump for applying the flocking, a 3 oz. bag of fibers and an 8 oz can of adhesive you are looking at spending around $25 US from Woodcraft. This is the time to plan ahead, while the 3 oz bag is about $10, a 15 oz bag is $20. I'm sure there is a wide variety of products from other sources, I just happened to research this today.

Why not use the real thing instead of paying so much to imitate it?! :) :)
http://www.woodworkstuff.net/dliner1.html

I don't think plush Velvet is that expensive is it?! :) :)

http://www.woodworkstuff.net/Knipfer.html

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Joe that material is not expensive at all but the issue I think is getting it the fabric to lay in like as in the photo. You can't just cover that piece that easily. There are lots of dividers etc. on the piece. I don't know if the orignal was vaccumed in place, spray focked etc.

Mike, I have never used that flocking you bought at Woodcraft. I would be interested in how it works and what it feels like to touch, how well set it is etc. I am going to make a box for a custom knife that I am buying my son for Christmas next year. Yes... I said Christmas next year. Can't start to early! :)

Corey

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Mike, I thought I might have been on the wrong track or overlooking a simpler solution. I'll check our local craft shops to see if they have something similar but if necessary get out the old Visa and use the net.

Joe, the only reason I can't (wont) use the real thing is the nightmare of getting a good finish around all the slots that hold the cutlery in place and prevent it rattling around in the box.

(Corey, sorry if I sounded like a parrot with my post about the difficulty of applying a sheet finish. I guess we were posting at the same time & you hit the button first!)

I'll let you know how successful it is and post pics.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Joe, a bit more explanation on the type of trinket box I am making will show why I chose this method. I am following template Tom's suggestion and attempting both the heart and oval shaped boxes. The difference is I am trying to work it out using PC style guide bushings and this changes all the dimensions and proportions. The boxes will be made from solid wood and all inside corners will have a 1/4" radius, not the best when trying to line with fabric. While I am thinking about it Woodcraft has their 1/4" shank dish carving bit on clearance for $14.99. This is a 1" wide bit with a 1/2" cutting length. Since it saved me $10 I bought the 1/4" shank bit, normally I would have gone for 1/2" shank. Whiteside is around $33? and CMT wants $53 and change! The last 2 bits are 1-1/4" diameter with a 3/4" cutting depth but I was willing to trade off a bit more time for big cost savings.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Joe, the boxes I am going to make are like the oval boxes you saw by Harry in the introduction thread, and Template Tom's heart shaped box as seen below. They are cut from solid wood. My test boxes will be pine but what I am shooting for it making them from exotic woods such as bloodwood, redheart, purpleheart, zebrawood, etc.

Attachments

·
2,392 Posts
aniceone2hold said:
Joe, the boxes I am going to make are like the oval boxes you saw by Harry in the introduction thread, and Template Tom's heart shaped box as seen below. They are cut from solid wood. My test boxes will be pine but what I am shooting for it making them from exotic woods such as bloodwood, redheart, purpleheart, zebrawood, etc.
Mike, yes, I see what you mean... I was trying to visualize what Tom's patterns would look like for that box.

I can see little wooden island cutouts for each dugout section, nailed into place, routed with a 1/4" straight bit & guide. Then hogout the rest with the pattern removed.
... or...
One could have a very fine pattern taped or ? to the top and route it out using a 1/4" spiral bit with bearing.
... or... ??

That would be a real excersize in mastering making patterns and using the various methods of routing with bearing & guides.

Cute box. I made one some time ago around Valentines day... but I took the bandsaw box approach without using routers at all! The lid swivelled open / close on a piece of dowelling.

It would be interesting to see a blow by blow step by step on how everyone makes their box.

Thank you.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
There will be video posted in the future Joe, but it is a ways off. Tom's design's are based on a box which holds the workpiece in place, and different template lids for each routing operation.

·
2,392 Posts
aniceone2hold said:
There will be video posted in the future Joe, but it is a ways off. Tom's design's are based on a box which holds the workpiece in place, and different template lids for each routing operation.
Oh W O W !!

That sounds like a real C O O L approach!!
It appears that Tom made the project simple to make with better safety and accuracy through the use of the template guide, his specialty!

Really looking forward to seeing it!

Thank you!

·
Registered
782 Posts
flock finish

i have made probly 50 or so jewelry box's and have flock each with a different color It is easy to put on Their are 2 different kinds of sprayer units to use 1 is a spray gun and the other is a round card board sprayer Here is the link and all that you will need Click all over the link it is very good I have 5 colors of suede of my own but their are LOTS of colors Very nice I dont know of another site as good

http://donjer.com/suedetex/product.htm

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
If the color you want is in stock at your local Woodcraft store then it is best to buy it there. The slight cost savings by ordering from Donjer is offset by the shipping charges and you have to wait for ground shipment of the adhesive. These are the same products.

·
2,392 Posts
del schisler said:
i have made probly 50 or so jewelry box's and have flock each with a different color It is easy to put on Their are 2 different kinds of sprayer units to use 1 is a spray gun and the other is a round card board sprayer Here is the link and all that you will need Click all over the link it is very good I have 5 colors of suede of my own but their are LOTS of colors Very nice I dont know of another site as good

http://donjer.com/suedetex/product.htm
This is looking so good, I saved that bookmark.

Mike, thanks for your money savings comment too!

I will have to try this one of these days! (although, I still have a good stock of plush velvet) :) :) (from wife's sewing room) :)

Thank you all for great topic coverage!

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hey Joe

Did you send off for the kit(s) ?

I did and I'm waiting to get them ,I sent for two kits just to try them out, I tried to find them in hobby stores in town and they all said "what do you want ? " and I said I want some flocking ,"some flocking ??", get your ass out of here, with a smile :) :) LOL hahahahahaha....
anyway just checking.

Bj :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Just a Update

Well I got the kits (2ea.) tan and green ,I'm going to give a shot so to speak on Tues. and see what it looks like and see if can get done without errors .:)

I did ask my son about it and he said it was easy, they use it all the time in cars/trucks to redo gove boxs and center consols at Car-Toys and he said the glue is the key. (matched with the flock color) but it has a long drying time 15 hours the norm.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Just one more Update

Well I did two boxes as a test, in Kelley Green Suede Flock see below,,, we all know how hard it can be to get the box to look good inside :) this is a easy way to get that done and it's quick just put on the paint/glue from the can and with in 15mins. or so put the flock on with the tube that comes with the kit (looks like a shipping tube with 5ea. 1/8" holes in one end) but it works well for this job :) looks like I will make a stop by the office supply to pickup some more tubes.
I also took some other snapshots because I was taking some of the box and the flock job all in all it's a great way to do the inside of many items.
Thanks to del for the link for the flock kits, it took about 4 days to get it by UPS.

Just one users review ▼

I do recommend this product from ▼ :) ,it's a easy one to do, little masking tape and some poly.spay to seal the box inside and the kit and you will have it done in no time, the hard part is waiting for it to dry so you play with it. :) ( I did it late at night so I could play with it the next day ) hope this helps someone that wants to flock a box or two :).

NOTE*** besure to seal the inside the box with some type of sealer, this will keep the glue/paint from soaking into the wood and will help in drying time as well, if you don't seal it the color will be off or to say blotches.
Once it's dry ( 15 hours of drying time) just blow it out with the air hose but with care you don't want to blow out what you just put in place, it takes 72 hours b/4 it's cured,you can take a soft brush and with care clean the box and out and reuse the over blow, if you want then just blow out the box and your done... :)

http://donjer.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html

http://donjer.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page1.html

http://donjer.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page2.html

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.