Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Whiteside 1/4" diameter spiral flush trim upcut bit RFT2100 to do some template routing at the router table. I also need to do some template routing with a 1/4" offset; this could be done by replacing the 1/4" diameter pilot bearing with a 3/4" diameter pilot bearing. I mistakenly thought that I could replace the 1/4" pilot bearing on the RFT2100 with a 3/4" pilot bearing. Unfortunately, the pilot bearing on the RFT2100 is not removable. Any suggestions on an alternative to the Whiteside RFT2100 that has a removable pilot bearing? I have made a test cut with a guide bushing/bit diameter that gives an offset of 1/4" but on the router table this means the template is hidden from view. I could also do it with a hand held router but prefer to stick to the router table. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Official Greeter
19,758 Posts
Would this type of cutter achieve what you require?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would this type of cutter achieve what you require?

Thanks for your suggestion. I am not sure a traditional rabbet bit will work. Usually, the pilot bearing on a rabbet bit is smaller in diameter than the cutter diameter. In my case, I want a pilot bearing larger than the cutter diameter. The formula I am trying to follow is O = (G - B)/2 where G is the guide bushing (or pilot bearing) diameter, B is the bit (or cutter) diameter and O is the offset. In my situation, I am using a router table, the offset O is 1/4" and I can choose the combination of G and B and I want the template on top of my stock.

·
Registered
Paul
2,100 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if this could work for you: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho.../router-bits/30166-template-bits?item=16J1008

The replacement bearings are listed. You would lose the spiral advantage though.

I just realized that would be on the wrong side in a table.

Maybe you could change the bearing size on one like this: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...outer-bits/30165-laminate-flush-trimming-bits
Your 2nd Lee Valley choice might work if the 1/4" bearing can be replaced with a 3/4" bearing. Unfortunately, it is out of stock and won't be available until mid October. I will contact their customer service and see what they say. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Official Greeter
19,758 Posts
If you need the 'bearing' to be larger than the cutter, use a template guide?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand completely that I could accomplish the task using a guide bushing. However, I want to use a router table and have the template on the top of the work being cut. Using a guide bushing and a router table would "hide" the template underneath the stock being routed. Since the object is to cut complimentary curves, it is very important to follow the template as closely as possible. If you can't see the template, it may be difficult to follow it precisely. If I were willing to use a hand held router, then the logical choice would be guide bushings because in this case the template is on top of the work piece. I am attempting to do the routing on the router table instead of a hand held router.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.