Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
once you have your template, how do you folks attach it to the Wood you want to shape by flush trimming it.
thank you

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
If you are not worried about holes nails or screws otherwise double face tape, remember it's pressure sensitive so you need to press it together for a second to make it hold.

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
Pin nail or double sided 'carpet' tape....

Depends on the size.....

·
Registered
Theo
6,918 Posts
Can't stand the cleanup with double-stick tape, or rubber cement. Now I drill pilot holes in my templates, and use thin nails to tack them down.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use wide double sided carpet tape which does leave a bit of residue when I take it off but because the time is short I find the glue residue balls up and slides off with minimal effort.

·
Registered
35 Posts
40mm 'Tenacious Tape' brand carpet tape. Don't be shy with it, it comes off the timber easier than the template (I use 6mm clear acrylic).

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Never with a temporary adhesive (psa) or tape.
Always with clamps (toggles or C), crowders, vacuum, fences and stops.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
once you have your template, how do you folks attach it to the Wood you want to shape by flush trimming it.
thank you
if it's an often used template ... take the effort to set it up to be vacuum clamped in place...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use commercial hot melt glue. To remove spray with methyl hydrate (wood alcohol) and the glue automatically releases. The key is commercial hot melt, not the hooby kind. The first time that I was introduced to this method I scoffed at it being possible. Works fantastic!

Regards Bob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Flush trim / tape or

I use "Nail it with tape" from Cellotape.
It comes in a roll 2m x 18mm. Is thicker
Than double sided tape so you can get a
Knife in! It comes off without trouble.
Just roll it into a ball with your fingers

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Avery came out last year with what they named "Woodworker's Tape". It is a little on the expensive side, but in my opinion well worth it. It is designed to have lateral strength, is reusable, tears off the role easily, and leaves NO residue behind on the work pieces. I have used it for several project, including flush trim operations, and it has performed great. I got a free sample of it at Woodworking in America last year, and have since bought another role.

Avery Dennison Woodworking Tape

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've used the double sided tape from MLCS Woodworking for several years. It holds very well and doesn't leave a residue. If you use too much it can be a bit of work to get the pieces apart. If it's too tight, I take a 1" chisel and gently insert it between the template and the work piece to break the bond.

MLCS Woodworking Accesories

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use "Nail it with tape" from Cellotape.
It comes in a roll 2m x 18mm. Is thicker
Than double sided tape so you can get a
Knife in! It comes off without trouble.
Just roll it into a ball with with your fingers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth

I have yet to find a carpet tape that actually works. Apply pressure and the template moves. What I have found works is turners tape. You can get it from Lee Valley. Small pilot holes and nails work great if you can stand the holes.

·
Registered
Theo
6,918 Posts
Small pilot holes and nails work great if you can stand the holes.
Works very well for me, because with my projects the nail holes are either inside, out of sight, or another piece is glued over the nail holes; so either way, they're nicely hidden. On the very rare occasion nail holes will show on something, the pilot holes are drilled in a pattern, so the nail holes look like decoration.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hot melt glue

I use commercial hot melt glue. To remove spray with methyl hydrate (wood alcohol) and the glue automatically releases. The key is commercial hot melt, not the hooby kind. The first time that I was introduced to this method I scoffed at it being possible. Works fantastic!

Regards Bob
Where do you get commercial hot glue sticks?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use vacuum clamping for most of my stuff. I built the venturi vacuum system from w . w . w . joewoodworker . c . o . m and it is a FANTASTIC setup. At 21", I can lift at least 35#; I haven't tried lifting beyond that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
"Where do you get commercial hot glue sticks?" Hi we buy them from our adhesive supplier. You can also find them at industrial supplt stores. They are honey colored and are generally longer than the hobby kind. Sorry I do not know how to quote a message yet.

Regards Bob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts