Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This portable little table was inspired by a similar table made by my wife's grandfather. He based his design off of those old plastic TV tables from the 70's. It stands 16 1/2" tall which is perfect height for our lawn chairs. The top measures 14" by 10". Nice and narrow so you don't take up too much room around the campfire. Cherry for the top and side rails. Maple for the legs. The hardware was a challenge. I ended up using brass Hillman furniture bolts. The screw portion was a bit too long and the shoulder portion not long enough. Had to cut a bushing to lengthen the collar and shorten the screws. Made a nice solid supported moving joint for the scissor legs in the end. Finish is 7 coats of shellac followed by several coats of wipe on poly, steel wool and wax.

Wood Brown Hardwood Floor Flooring
Wood Hardwood Beige Tan Wood stain
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Rectangle Beige
Wood Hardwood Plywood Tool Wooden block

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
That is one nice looking table ,nice clean look (LIKE)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Super nice workmanship, I agree that it is almost too nice for the around the campfire! I like your choice of woods and finish.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Very nice and I like the choice of woods. I have been using a fair amount of soft maple and really like that wood. The cabinets I made for the pantry I used soft maple for the door frames and panels.

·
Registered
Mike
3,843 Posts
Nice looking table. I do like the use of contrasting woods.

That would be a great project for a beginner handtool user to make. It would give them some easy to work on while learning handtool techniques.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I swear I got bit by a skeeter just looking at it! :p Perfect for the campground and anywhere you have lawn chairs. Now if that was built in the 70's at my house my mom would have had it covered in plastic like she did the sofa. That's how nice that table is.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,081 Posts
Very nice indeed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.