Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I was given a set of mid 60's Samsonite folding chairs, now I understand they look like they came right out of the Brady Bunch set however because these things were so well made I figured it was time to bring them into the 21st century here is a before and after....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
That is a nice upgrade. I hate sitting on a cold, steel seat. I wonder if you could glue some padding in place, or bolt a pad with a wood base over the steel?

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
That is a nice upgrade. I hate sitting on a cold, steel seat. I wonder if you could glue some padding in place, or bolt a pad with a wood base over the steel?
Thinking about making wooden seats and bolting them on top of the metal, wood is warmer than metal, might even put a layer of foam between the wood and metal to soften them up.
Herb

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya these have another 50 years life left in them, don't think any of the new folding chairs they sell would last 20 years.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Thinking about making wooden seats and bolting them on top of the metal, wood is warmer than metal, might even put a layer of foam between the wood and metal to soften them up.
Herb
Interesting idea Herb. I wonder if it would be practical to try a diamond tuft design the one with buttons in the diamonds. The outer fabric could be rolled around the lips under the outer buttons and those and glue could hold them on.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
299 Posts
Marsha, Marsha, Marsha. I understand the Brady House recently sold for 1.8 million dollars.

Your chairs look very nice. The older stuff was well made making it worth refreshing them.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,059 Posts
That's one great restoration.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Very nice.
Yesterday my daughter told to her husband to toss away an aluminum chair because two fabrics were broken. I hope to restore it for the BBQ meetings we use to do.

·
Registered
Mike
3,836 Posts
Tony that is a great job on redoing these chairs. I'm glad you took the time to redo them instead of tossing them and buying new ones. They were made better than any you would buy today.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tony that is a great job on redoing these chairs. I'm glad you took the time to redo them instead of tossing them and buying new ones. They were made better than any you would buy today.
oh fore sure, if it wasn't the colour and pattern I would have just kept using them the way they were. but now they do look new and like you say built 10 fold better...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts