Router Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just introduced myself in the New Member Introductions.

I’m in the planning stage (no money has been spent yet!) for a vastly improved router table. My workspace is a covered porch, but otherwise exposed to what Seattle weather blows in. I‘ve been using a DeWalt 611 in a little Rockler table on a stand, clamped into the end of work bench shown here.

This has worked remarkably well so far, but my projects are growing in size and complexity. Goals besides more table space include a improvements in bit height adjustment and a much better fence. Components are likely to be:

Bosch 1617 EVSP kit - mostly in the table, but want to keep it easy to use i the plunge base.
Jessem Mast-R-Top - phenolic so not susceptible to weather deformation
Jessem Mast-R-Fence - The soon to be available III version looks quite enticing with phenolic “base” and maple inserts, so no MDF to swell.
I’m going around and around on either of the Jessem lifts, or the Incra version of the Mast-R-Lift. Yes, I’ve given lots of thought to one of the Triton routers, but keep coming back to the Bosch + Jessem for greater flexibility.

The ”folding“ aspect keeps the table from taking up valuable floor space when not in use. My current thought is to hinge the top from one end, with the hinge located on the platform that supports the small drill press. Support leg when in use would be either braced against the lower frame of this stand, or a hinged to stand the porch floor. When folded, the router/lift would fit into the space under the drill press.

Lots of questions, but let’s start with any thoughts about the component choices, and if you think there might be a better approach.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,219 Posts
Here's a look at how I built my folding router table. It may give you some ideas you can use. Fold down router table

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Oliver, for the link to your Fold down router table. Some good ideas in there that I may copy!

I put together this table/fence mock-up yesterday to get a better feeling for dimensions and clearances:

Use position:

Folded position:

That convinced me that a full 24”x32” was crowding the space, so I’ll go with 20” deep, with the router offset toward the front (left side in those pics) as Bill Hylton suggests in his book. Maybe shorter than 32”, but that’s less of an issue with the Drill Press/Bandsaw stand 45° to avoid crowding the adjacent work bench. Work height will be 38-39” for 6’ tall me. (My little Rockler table height is 45.5”.)

The Jessem phenolic table top is no longer in the component list due to size, so I’m thinking double layer of 3/4“ phenolic-Baltic birch plywood for the top. Or maybe a single layer + 2” tall torsion box frame underneath. Thoughts on these alternatives?

Any suggestion for the best adhesive to use for gluing these with their phenolic surfaces? They’ll be liberally screwed together, too.

I’ve eliminated the Incra lift from my choices, since it doesn’t have hold-down screws that are needed for retention when the table is folded. Saves some money, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts