Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

My father died in 2017, and he was a wood worker. Granted, his "real job" was a maintenance mechanic, but he loved building things. Unfortunately, given the choice of either watching him or going out to play, I chose to go out and play.

Now, I have decided to take up wood working. My goal is to make a flag display (I have his casket flag), and then make flag displays for other veterans - who have done so much for this country, in my opinion.

Anyway, I am hoping to learn from all of you and then be able to pass my knowledge onto newbies, as they come on board.

Thanks, for letting me into this group. I look forward to meeting and working with and learning from y'all.

Best regards,
Dana

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum. Dana

Reactions: danajberry

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hi, all.

My father died in 2017, and he was a wood worker. Granted, his "real job" was a maintenance mechanic, but he loved building things. Unfortunately, given the choice of either watching him or going out to play, I chose to go out and play.

Now, I have decided to take up wood working. My goal is to make a flag display (I have his casket flag), and then make flag displays for other veterans - who have done so much for this country, in my opinion.

Anyway, I am hoping to learn from all of you and then be able to pass my knowledge onto newbies, as they come on board.

Thanks, for letting me into this group. I look forward to meeting and working with and learning from y'all.

Best regards,
Dana
Welcome Dana! I look forward to your first of many Flag Display Cases/Boxes. I have not made one however it is on my list. Here is a link to get you started thinking and planning your build Flag Display. What I did not realize is there are different size flags for the "Display". I always thought it was one size (5' x 9.5') ... but apparently not.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Welcome aboard. Plenty of various types of flag display plans on-line, free.

Reactions: danajberry

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hi, all.

Best regards,
Dana

Welcome aboard Dana. While this is on my to do list and I have the very special piece of walnut to do this with, from Monticello...the place Thomas Jefferson used to live in, that's a bit wormy and a great color/grain, I've yet to do so as it's the last piece I have. But I have collected some information on making it and must have the same instruction. Here's a link to a video and instructions on building your case if you want one just for the flag as I do. There is also content on WWGOA that covers the same topics and detail.

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
One thing to consider is incorporating any medals they received into the design. Also, do you have the shell casings from the burial, and if so they could also be used somewhere in the display?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.