Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my baseball bat beer mugs and now I want to seal the inside with something safe to drink from. Many postings claim all products are food safe "When Fully Cured". No labels/claims state they are safe to drink from. I think it is because the seller can't control the mixing (epoxy) application or cure time. The sellers of baseball bat beer mugs on line claim they use a water based sealer that is safe to drink from but will not disclose the name of the product. Does anyone know of a product to seal a wooden mug that is safe to drink from?

·
Super Moderator
202 Posts
if someone "did" suffer health issues due to drinking from a wooden vessel, how could they actually "prove" it was your vessel that made them sick ??
and - are YOU willing to take that chance by making a few dollars from something cool that is already on the market by the thousands ?? (not me).
if I was a beer drinker, I surly wouldn't want to spoil the taste of good beer by some kind of finish inside of my mug.
have you purchased one of the mugs that are for sale on the internet to examine it ?
(and yes, in this project, I am one of the NaySayers that is against it).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if someone "did" suffer health issues due to drinking from a wooden vessel, how could they actually "prove" it was your vessel that made them sick ??
and - are YOU willing to take that chance by making a few dollars from something cool that is already on the market by the thousands ?? (not me).
if I was a beer drinker, I surly wouldn't want to spoil the taste of good beer by some kind of finish inside of my mug.
have you purchased one of the mugs that are for sale on the internet to examine it ?
(and yes, in this project, I am one of the NaySayers that is against it).
I will not be selling these, they are gifts for some sports fans I know. I will make a few of these and then I will be on to my next project. If the marketers of these mugs can buy this sealer, so can I. "Every problem has a solution, the impossible ones just take a little longer".

·
Super Moderator
202 Posts
we have a sister site called LumberJocks - there are several very talented lathe turners there that make goblets and bowls that either hold food items or come in contact with food being prepared.
you might want to run your project through them.
sample photos and full description will help a lot (like in your other post about this project).
all the best !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we have a sister site called LumberJocks - there are several very talented lathe turners there that make goblets and bowls that either hold food items or come in contact with food being prepared.
you might want to run your project through them.
sample photos and full description will help a lot (like in your other post about this project).
all the best !!
Thank you John. I follow that site also and posted my question there this morning. I really hope someone out there can help.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Do you seriously expect somebody making a product commercially to reveal all to a potential competitor? Would you do so? How do they know you are just doing a limited run for friends? Guess you will have to do your own research and trial-and-error.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you seriously expect somebody making a product commercially to reveal all to a potential competitor? Would you do so? How do they know you are just doing a limited run for friends? Guess you will have to do your own research and trial-and-error.
Thank you for your insightful comment. I never thought of doing my own research. Maybe asking other people if they have any insight into my problem, but I guess that would not be part of research.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts