Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't done to much other than carving lately. Here is a photo journal of a carving I just finished. This is for Harry when he returns :) On this project I and 4 other carvers were mentored by Rick Ferry a carving supply dealer and wonderful Hobo carver. He sent out the blank, photos and everything and helped out along the way.

Here is the blank and the photos of what the project is supposed to look like. He is a goofy looking little hillbilly

Corey

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bang.... I hit a real stopper at this point. I was having a lot of trouble carving the face and was making a mess of it and on top of that I broke the nose off. I considered tossing it in the garbage at this point but I consulted my mentor and he advised I could either make a clean cut and glue new material on or carve a new face. I decided to carve a new face. Here is the mess at this point :(

Corey

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Excellent save Corey. Honestly, I like the new head better. You broke from the mold and made your own carving. Great work.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Glenmore and Bj, I appreciate it. I need to take one more pic for Harry, he wanted to see the tools. I have to head out for the next 2 weeks on the road so will have to wait on that. Have a good week everyone.

Corey

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Hi Corey,

Very nicely done. :)

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks Ken! Well I got back in town last night and I painted this up this morning. It's finished with artists oil paints and sealed with satin lacquer. Some carvers don't paint there pieces but for me they come to life when painted. If I were to use a hardwood I would probably not paint but basswood carves really nice and takes paint very well. The object is to use washes of paint so that the grain of the wood comes through. I don't know how well these photos show it but the grain shines through nicely on this one.

Also Harry requested a photo of some of the tools. I wear a kevlar glove on my left hand and a leather thumb guard on my right hand thumb that is not pictured. Both have saved me from some cuts that would have been nasty. I have knicked myself a couple times when I wasn't wearning them. I always put them on when I start but if I take a break and start carving again I sometimes forget to put them back on.

All of the knives are razor sharp. The 2 walnut handled knives are Wells/Shipley carving knives, production knives from a well known carver. They are made from hacksaw blades and they stay very sharp with regular stropping. The small knife is also a production knife from a local carver and knife maker here in Iowa. I love it for the small face and detail work. The rest of the tools are various v-tools and gouges. For caricature work you don't need large tools. The largest is a 5/16 gouge.

Hope Harry is doing better and hope you have enjoyed this!

Corey

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi Corey,

That carving is really awesome. Very nice job. And yes, the grain shows in the pictures.

Ed......:)

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Hi Corey,

Beautiful job my friend!! :) :)

If you don't mind a friendly suggestion, when you take a break, lay your "gloves" right next too if not on your carving tools. This way you have that "reminder". :)

Again, beautiful job! :) :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.