Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Is that an old axial airplane engine Harry?

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
that sled needs a refit...

Or just install more horsepower and out run it. https://thekneeslider.com/e-j-potter-the-michigan-madman-r-i-p/

Evel Knievel once called this guy crazy. He was the subject of one of the best motorcycle stories I ever read. Bloody Mary 3 was a bike frame with a 327 chev small block with fuel injection mounted transverse across the frame and generating 600 hp. He was doing a demonstration at a drag strip in Iowa on its maiden run. There was no transmission so he would sit on it with the bike on a jack stand and rev it up and someone would push the bike off the stand when it was time to go. At the end of the quarter mile he was clocked doing 160 mph. He let off on the fuel but the throttle stuck. He turned the ignition off but the bike was running a nitro methane fuel mixture and by that time the engine was hot enough that it didn't need a spark anymore to ignite the fuel. He tried to stop it with the brakes but at that speed and with 600 hp pushing they proved ineffective and quickly burned the pads off. By this time he had gone off the end of the track and was going through a farmer's field. Up ahead the field stopped at a patch of woods and he was closing on it pretty quickly so he knew his only chance was to get off, so he quickly got ready and jumped trying to land as flat as possible and just skid to a stop. His plan worked and he did exactly that, just burning the ass end of his leather pants off and a few bruises. By the time he got up the bike was already in the woods. He ran to it and got there just as it finally died. It had cut three 8-9" trees off and wrapped around a fourth and the fuel injection intakes had sucked in enough leaves to choke the engine. That was the beginning and end of Bloody Mary 3. I think there were 6 versions all told.

Reactions: MEBCWD and Stick486

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
These are the real radial Aircraft engines, I think the one in Harry photo is a modern engine specifically made for a bike, the torque in the real engines is far to great for a bike. Some very neat engines here including the B29 and the B36 engines. I like to see someone put one of these in a bike. N

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
But if you want a simple street bike, I'd just stick with a Boss Hog.

Attachments

Reactions: harrysin

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I just got back form 8 days vacation. Stick, I could have used that crotch rocket on the interstates!

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What brilliant engineering but riding such machines without a helmet, stupid.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
What brilliant engineering but riding such machines without a helmet, stupid.
Totally agree with that. A lot of bikers want no helmet laws tho, they say it is their right to ride with no helmet if they want to. But no mention is ever made about the people who have to pick up the bodies, the ones that could have lived if they had a helmet on, and all the other people who would be involved, including family.

A few years back a rider was attending a 'no helmet' rally. He tipped his cycle over at a very slow speed, around 5 MPH, hit his head, and it killed him. Doctors said he would have suffered little, or no, injury if he had been wearing a helmet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts