Router Forums banner

Forgot a groove - now what?

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BobandRick 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm new here. I have a question. I just built a set of nesting tables. I put a groove on the bottom of each piece that goes between each leg. Can't remember the name of that - is it style or rail or skirt?? Anyway, I remembered to router this groove in two of the tables before I put them together but forgot to on one of them. The complication in doing it now is that there is a 3/16" offset from the front edge of the leg and the rail. Can anyone think of an easy way to route that groove in there? Scotty

#2 ·
It depends on the shape of the groove and which way the rounter was mounted to cut those grooves.
If you have a cutter with that section on the tip then it would be possible to make a jig out of MDF with a slot for the router bush to follow.
You wont be able to cut this groove the full length as you would hit the legs.
These ends would need to be carefully cut with a chisel to produce the groove shape then sanded by hand to smooth the cut.

#10 ·
Scotty said:
Hi Bob and Rick,
I'm still trying to get this drawing to you. Here goes..

Thanks,
Scoty
Looks like your going to have do a little hand work.

I would put a 3/16" spacer piece between the legs then set the V-groove up to cut the groove in the rail. Make sure you don't touch your legs on the start or finish position. Last is to cut by hand the bit you will miss on the start and finish points of the V-groove.

Good luck and think and set up safely

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.