Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
James Carmichael, Fort Worth, TX here. I'm kind of a new woodworker still learning. I started with a Porter Cable 7529 plunge and just bought a Makita RF1101 kit to use in my table. doing all sorts of projects, currently a cedar pergola and built-in bookcase. When I finish those, I have lots of shop projects I want to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jim Severson here...
I have become a self taught wood butcher in the last few years.
I have learned enough to realize that a router is probably the most usefull tool that I do not (yet) know how to use properly.

Does anybody have any recommendations regarding a specific router for me to purchase.

I am about to settle in on a Porter-cable 694VK.
I am also about to build the Router table like the one that is used in the "Router Workshop".

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
I'm assuming if you posted your router related questions in the General Routing forums, you could get Bob or Rick Rosendahl to answer you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jim.severson said:
Jim Severson here...
I have become a self taught wood butcher in the last few years.
I have learned enough to realize that a router is probably the most usefull tool that I do not (yet) know how to use properly.

Does anybody have any recommendations regarding a specific router for me to purchase.

I am about to settle in on a Porter-cable 694VK.
I am also about to build the Router table like the one that is used in the "Router Workshop".
Jim,

I love my Makita RF1101 kit with the two bases. I was getting very envious watching Rick twist his PC out of the base for bit changes, then Lowes closed out the Makitas for about 1/2 price. There are features I like about my PC 7529 plunge as well, especially safety-wise, the handle-mounted trigger that allows starting/stoping with a two-hand hold (the makita has a top-mounted switch only), but the Makita is extremely versatile and takes the PC templates, even fits the base drilled for my Porter Cable. Best of all, the motor comes right out of the fixed base, just unlatch, give it 1 full rotation, and it's out. This also makes coarse depth adjustments very fast & easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.