Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
David
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up the lumber for the 5 Walnut plaques (just posted about those) I noticed a 'nugget' on the end of one board. So I cut that off and resawed it today and it's gorgeous! It ended up about 17" x 20" x 1/4" thick in its bookmatched and sanded to 220 form. Now I have to decide what to do with it... I have a few ideas but nothing concrete yet.

The boards were very straight except for right at the end on this particular one so I had to be careful resawing it.
Wood Floor Lumber Table Beam

Opened up to reveal the nugget -
Wood Table Wood stain Plywood Hardwood

Lots of surfacing needed to get them equal and level -
Wood Plywood Furniture Hardwood Floor

Glued -
Vehicle Wood Floor Table Flooring

Bookmatched, sanded to 220 grit -
Wood Hardwood Plywood Wood stain woodworking

More later when I figure out what I want to do with this -
David

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: difalkner

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
David that is awesome. I saw the picture of the halves on your CNC machine. Have you decided what your going to make yet? Please post some pictures when you have completed the project.

·
Registered
901 Posts
This just might be one of those occasions when you design a piece simply to show off this treasure. Good on you for recognizing the gem in the rough.

·
Premium Member
Frank
352 Posts
David,

I work with Walnut all the time. This is one of the most beautiful patter I have seen. Be sure to post pictures of the completed project!

Frank

·
Administrator
David
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Guys!

I've been setting a few of these aside over the last few months so I dug some out and resawed them last night. None quite as spectacular but awfully nice, definitely worth the effort to resaw. No idea on what I'll do with them at this point but the creative juices are flowing!

Wood Hardwood Plywood Lumber woodworking

Wood Table Plywood Lumber

David

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's just amazing what you can find if you pay attention! That piece is gorgeous. I thought the same thing about framing it. Or a coffee table, or cabinet doors on an entertainment center...somewhere it will be seen and appreciated!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts