Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone; thanks for providing such a great forum and source of information. I've been lurking for the last couple weeks but now I'd like to introduce myself and ask for some opinions.

I'm a novice woodworker and got my first router/table a couple weeks ago -- a Freud 1700/table/fence package.

I was very pleased with the features and convenience of it, but after 1 or 2 uses the spindle lock stopped working (maybe a broken spring or pin?).

I checked the manual and confirmed I wasn't misusing it, then exchanged it for a new one.

I've used this one once and now the depth adjustment screw won't stay engaged when I'm adjusting the height -- again, I'm pretty sure I'm not doing something wrong.

So here's my dilemma -- should I go back and exchange for yet another one, or should I return the whole kit and look for a different make/model? I've seen a bunch of mixed opinions here about the Freud 1700. I like the router, but I don't want to be stuck with a lemon a year or two from now (assuming a replacement would last that long)... What would you folks do?

I've read a bunch of feedback on the Freud 1700, and I know it

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Leif and welcome to the forum. I would take it back and try something else. Things that are new should work like something new and not have to burden you down wondering if it will last past the warrantee. There are a lot of routers on the market that you should be able to find what you want. For my part, I suggest a fella make his own router table if possible just because you can make it what you want, and not what someone else figures you need. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback! So far it's split between trying the same router again and returning everything and trying a new router... Anyone care to break the tie?

Jerry, I thought I did include my name and location in the profile when I registered -- what am I missing?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
i wouldnt advise you either way, but i was considering a freud. i was then advised to read reviews about the one i was looking at. i think it was the 1702. after reading the reviews and seeing the problems some had with this router, i spent more money , but i got a great router. it was a craftsman 3 base combo. this 2 1/4 hp router is great. since then i got a bosch so i could use it on a ski jig. i like the bosch too, i had to replace the stock base so i could use conventional styled guides.

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
My thinking (as foggy as it is at times) is that if they make them that poorly in 2 machines, why trust them on a 3rd. Do like levon suggests and go for another make. Just my honest opinion of course :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My thinking (as foggy as it is at times) is that if they make them that poorly in 2 machines, why trust them on a 3rd. Do like levon suggests and go for another make. Just my honest opinion of course :rolleyes:

hi Bob,

not because you agree with me, but because i know you to be very knowledgeable, i think your thinking is as clear as a bell. i do hope your feeling better! from your fan and pupil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Leif.... I have the Freud1000 portable table/fence and a Freud1702 router. I have had no problems. I would call Freud's Customer Service and discuss the problems you are having. I have call with questions prior and after my purchase and found them to be very forthright and honest. Freud is very popular in Europe for a very long time and I do not think they want bad product giving them a bad name.

Please post your decision, I would like to know how you come out.

Rjc

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
hi Leif,

i may be wrong, but i also think that these routers are being discontinued. the problem with the depth adjustment was one subject that got lots of complaints in the reviews of this product. they were a good price, about half of what a good 2 1/4 hp router should sell for, but if it causes problems, what good is the savings?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Hi,

First off, I'd like to ask, has anyone contacted CharlesM? Since he does work for Freud, he'd be more than likely to help you with the issue(s) you're having.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi everyone; thanks for providing such a great forum and source of information. I've been lurking for the last couple weeks but now I'd like to introduce myself and ask for some opinions.

I'm a novice woodworker and got my first router/table a couple weeks ago -- a Freud 1700/table/fence package.

I was very pleased with the features and convenience of it, but after 1 or 2 uses the spindle lock stopped working (maybe a broken spring or pin?).

I checked the manual and confirmed I wasn't misusing it, then exchanged it for a new one.

I've used this one once and now the depth adjustment screw won't stay engaged when I'm adjusting the height -- again, I'm pretty sure I'm not doing something wrong.

So here's my dilemma -- should I go back and exchange for yet another one, or should I return the whole kit and look for a different make/model? I've seen a bunch of mixed opinions here about the Freud 1700. I like the router, but I don't want to be stuck with a lemon a year or two from now (assuming a replacement would last that long)... What would you folks do?

I've read a bunch of feedback on the Freud 1700, and I know it
I am sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing with your Freud router. Please be aware that we will do all that we can to ensure your satisfaction. Issues are very rare and issues with two router for the same person are all but unheard of. There is a 5 year warranty on the router as well as a satisfaction guarantee. I agree with the earlier advice that if it is a router you like you should give it another try. Otherwise, please take advantage of the guarantee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I decided to return everything and just tonight picked up a Bosch 1617 EVSPK. I did enjoy the Freud and the convenience of it being bundled with a table and fence -- but after 2 strikes I couldn't bring myself to risk a third.

I appreciate the comments, Charles; kudos to Freud for a great guarantee.

Next step: bench-top table and fence...

Cheers everyone!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Your safe with the Bosch. They havent changed it since it was first introduced except to correct the first production faults. My Freud 1700vec has been a wonderful machine after the height adjustment was corrected....each his own...Now if you want to talk about Ridgid coustmer service we can go on forever...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.