Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone; thanks for providing such a great forum and source of information. I've been lurking for the last couple weeks but now I'd like to introduce myself and ask for some opinions.

I'm a novice woodworker and got my first router/table a couple weeks ago -- a Freud 1700/table/fence package.

I was very pleased with the features and convenience of it, but after 1 or 2 uses the spindle lock stopped working (maybe a broken spring or pin?).

I checked the manual and confirmed I wasn't misusing it, then exchanged it for a new one.

I've used this one once and now the depth adjustment screw won't stay engaged when I'm adjusting the height -- again, I'm pretty sure I'm not doing something wrong.

So here's my dilemma -- should I go back and exchange for yet another one, or should I return the whole kit and look for a different make/model? I've seen a bunch of mixed opinions here about the Freud 1700. I like the router, but I don't want to be stuck with a lemon a year or two from now (assuming a replacement would last that long)... What would you folks do?

I've read a bunch of feedback on the Freud 1700, and I know it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback! So far it's split between trying the same router again and returning everything and trying a new router... Anyone care to break the tie?

Jerry, I thought I did include my name and location in the profile when I registered -- what am I missing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I decided to return everything and just tonight picked up a Bosch 1617 EVSPK. I did enjoy the Freud and the convenience of it being bundled with a table and fence -- but after 2 strikes I couldn't bring myself to risk a third.

I appreciate the comments, Charles; kudos to Freud for a great guarantee.

Next step: bench-top table and fence...

Cheers everyone!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.