Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone measure the clearance of the FT2000E router from the base plate to the collet in the full plunge position for me?

I haven't used mine in a long time and the plunge mechanism just doesn't seem to be traveling all the way down. I see 1.5" distance between the base plate and the bottom of the collet. That is a real problem.

If that isn't right, any suggestions how to fix it?

Thanks!

--Ben

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
No need to measure. I know that mine will plunge to the base plate.
Is your turrets and stop rod adjusted for full plunge?

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I took the base off the body this morning and found a rats nest of crud buildup in one of the posts. Cleaning that mess up took care of the original question.

Unfortunately it still didn't go down far enough to clear the 5/8" Freud template guide with the dovetail bit I was going to use. I picked up a used Leigh dovetail jig a while back and decided to try to use it. The bit only extends about 1/4" below the bottom of the guide. I'm assuming I will need a standard 1/2" dovetail bit?

--Ben

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I agree with Gene. I had one and I'm sure that if i put it on a bench and pushed down the collet nut would hit the bench. On my Hitachis one column is longer than the other. If one of yours is longer is it possible you reversed it when putting it back together?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got to looking at what was in the bit box that came with the jig vs what is in the user guide...and the dovetail bit was waaay shorter than it should have been. Apparently someone swapped it out for a shorter one before I got it. All righty now. :)

None of the local stores had a standard #90 Leigh compatible bit, so I ordered one online.

Thanks, guys!

--Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts