Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi folks ! new to this forum for posting but have been checking it out from time to time. I am relatively inexperienced with a router table but not routers. Iv'e read some really neat tips and tricks on this sight and thought I should probably just go ahead register. I'll say also trying to absorb it all at once has always been a bad habit of mine... lol. I can see with the versatility and endless possibilities of a router table that's not happening. so I guess a little patience and persistance will be in order. Having said all that ...I had a question. ...Dose anyone have any ideas on how I can transfer the position (accurately) of where I need to drill my Alum. proplate for a new freud 3000 3 1/4 hp ? The problem is not only the mounting screws, but also the holes for the above table spindle lock as well as the above table micro adj. knob holes. I'm thinking maybe a drill press is required!...? anyone ever hand drill a new blank plate before? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you .Oh I forgot...! one problem I'm having is finding dead center of mounting screw holes with a paper template I keep trying to make.. any advice ?...

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Get screws that fit your router base, cut the heads off, and file a point on one end.. I used my drill press to do that..
Screw those screws into the base with the points sticking out.. Set the base on your baseplate, making sure you get it centered.. Tap on the baseplate with a hammer (lightly) to get the points to indent the baseplate..
Drill your holes, and countersink the topside..

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Welcome jarvis. We are glad you finally decided to register. Lurking is fine but we like to have people participate to make our forum better. Besides, you now know about transfer screws. Something you wouldn't have if you didn't ask. Also, you never know when your experience with a router will be valuable to others.Glad to have you with us.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Welcome Jarvis.
After you have made the pointed screws you have to make sure they are screwed into your base with the points the same height from the base. One way to center the new base is mount a 1/4" bushing on the new base, chuck up a 1/4" dowel in the router and then insert the dowel into the bushing. This will insure the new plate is centered on the router. Before you tap the base (lightly) to mark the hole location be sure the router is oriented the way you want it to mount on the new base in respect to how you want it to fit on the table. Hope this helps.

PS, If you don't have bushings you can find centering kits at Woodcraft, Rockler, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.