Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Tim. My avitar (I think that's correct) name is Teddytim1. The 1 was because someone else already had Teddytim on Yahoo years ago. Go figure. And the teddy came from my daughter when she was the age my granddaughter is now. We were walking through Lititz Pa. shopping and found ourselves in a Teddy bear shop. The next store was ladies clothing and I elected to stay with the bears. My daughter (4 at the time) teased and called me Teddytim. It stuck.

So I'm joining because I want to learn more, but I also have an immediate problem.

I own a Dewalt DW621 which won't turn on. I opened the trigger handle and suspect a small module within. I then went to Dewalt and there began the frustration part. I can't get a manual to download. I can't find trouble shooting support and the site keeps directing me to their service center.

I approached a local electrical supply shop advertising Dewalt repair capability only to learn they ship the work to the same service center. I asked what the evaluation charge was and was told (only after asking what model) that it was a minimum charge of $150.

Mind you I was in the router and saw the modual. There is no way it costs more than $5. So I went back to Dewalt this time to buy the module on a shot that this was the issue. When I asked for the module they were out of them. Two weeks later, same story.

So I went back to the product site looking for other people's review comments and sure enough, it's a pattern. The same type of service problem is written up 2 times by other users. Once on the same module. It looks like I'm in the market for a new router. Any suggestions or help on the current Dewalt Router would be appreciated.

A) Is this something you've heard before?
B) Is the problem worth fixing?
C) Is there onother approach? I'm taking suggestions on any other router as long as the brand doesn't start with a 'D'.

Teddytim1 - Tim

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tim. You could try taking it to some independent repair shop that does their own work, there has to be one somewhere around you. That shouldn't be a hard problem to diagnose for someone with a little bit of electrical skill. If it is the module and you cant get one it may be that it can be bypassed. The module is either for soft start or speed control either of which can be done without. You could always use an external speed control if you need to adjust speed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes I just can't see the nose on my own face. You're right, I can bypass it. Thx

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,217 Posts
If you think it's just the switch, Tool Parts Direct has one in stock for about $15. A new electronic module is about $70 on the site but has a 10-14 day lead time for shipping. Either, or both together, are cheaper than the quote for just evaluating the problem and cheaper than a new router. You could try buying one or both of the parts and switching them out.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If you think it is the switch you could attach a jumper wire across the terminals on either side and then plug it in momentarily to see it it comes on. Have someone hold onto the router when you do. Some switches get sawdust in them over time and that prevents the contacts from coming together. You can take the switch loose from the housing and tap it on a hard surface followed by a shot of compressed air and this will often clear the problem. If the jumper doesn't work then the module is a good bet.

Do you have an ohm meter or access to one? If you do, you don't need to try the jumper.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
G'day Tim. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bypass failed

If you think it is the switch you could attach a jumper wire across the terminals on eiand then plug it in momentarily to see it it comes on. Have someone hold onto the router when you do. Some switches get sawdust in them over time and that prevents the contacts from coming together. You can take the switch loose from the housing and tap it on a hard surface followed by a shot of compressed air and this will often clear the problem. If the jumper doesn't work then the module is a good bet.

Do you have an ohm meter or access to one? If you do, you don't need to try the jumper.
OK, I spent the day trying to get anything to kick it over. No life. I took it to the point where I had to test my power supply because I couldn't believe it could be this dead but I had power and it did not respond to any of it..

I have a big job ahead of me. Deck replacement on a sail boat. Soft decking must be routed out. It is imparative to have a robust dust collection capability . The DW621 had that. Today I saw a DW611. Nice and lite. But no dust collection. Is there a non Dewalt that is in the one horsepower range with dust collection?

·
Registered
434 Posts
OK, you have decided that you are not going to spend the money for a replacement module so therefore anything you do cannot make the situation worse. (150.00 will buy a decent new router) so go do it, take it to a a local motor repair shop (if any still exist in your area) and ask them how much. Failing this and the other fine suggestions already mentioned then buy a new router and make some company very happy along with the entire distribution chain that turns a 5.00 module into a 150.00 replacement part.

What everyone fails to remember is that companies are not there to make you happy, but to make money for the stockholders and institutional investors, High Quality De Walt being owned by Mediocre Black and Decker means that B&D gets to charge more for the perceived difference. When you mix high quality DW and Porter Cable with so-so B&D does everyone rise to the best, no everyone sinks to the lowest level and this is first year of B School.

Good luck with problem, but think about buying a Bosch and stop wasting time that could be spent with your granddaughter.

Good Luck - Baker

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am not sure if things have changed or not but I used to take B&D and DeWalt stuff to the Seattle store they have. There was a flat rate for repair. I brought in 5 inch grinders with brush caps missing, cord missing, etc and for $50 I would get it back like new.

As I recall they had similar deals on other equipment as well. Not sure how they make money like that. Maybe they have some outfit they sub it out to that works cheap. Doesn't seem that long ago but was probably 20 years or more. Maybe they don't do that anymore?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next hurdle = what to buy

So I decided that if I was going to trash the DW621 I might as well find out what failed in the motor and as it turned out 1 brush was cracked and the spring behind it bound rusted and stuck. Because of how it was made, this is not repairable. So trashing it and getting a new router it's the right decision. Thank you for all the help and support.

I did not know Black and Decker owned Dewalt. Who owns Porter Cable and is that a stronger brand. When I was inside the DeWalt I was a little disappointed at the quality. They really are sinking to B&D level.

When I read the reviews I can find a positive review 4 almost anything. I was hoping to find a little unbiased feedback in this forum. Thoughts on the 893PK?

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,946 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tim.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Hmm, what brand to recommend? :jester:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts