Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I agree with Stick, bypass it and forget the Freud part. We have had quite a few Freud 2000 and 3000 owners here complaining about their routers, including me. For a company that makes such good cutting tools you would think that they would have have had quality power tools made to put their name on. Unfortunately they are trash.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have had an FT2000e for 20+ years. If the speed control (actually all I care about is soft start) died on mine, I'd toss it. It's just not a very good router. It is reliable but the plunge mechanism is funky and I hate bit changes. Plunge depth is fairly shallow. The Freud bushing mount is about 1/4" off center so I made a PC compatible sub base. It does have semi decent DC.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
. For a company that makes such good cutting tools you would think that they would have have had quality power tools made to put their name on. Unfortunately they are trash.
separate entities...
Freud router are Freud...
Freud bits are Bosch...
the routers and bits use to be one company...
Freud sold it's cutter division to Bosch...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
They kept the wrong division.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
They kept the wrong division.
how so...
the cutter division was on the brink of extinction...
Bosch improved it across the board and even kept a lot the old people... (suspect there was some weed pulling done)

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Freud bits are well respected. Their power tools are riding that train until the word gets around. Bosch is the opposite. Their bits don't have a good reputation an have performed relatively poorly in tool tests but their power tools are hard to beat. An interesting dichotomy.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Freud bits are well respected. Their power tools are riding that train until the word gets around. Bosch is the opposite. Their bits don't have a good reputation an have performed relatively poorly in tool tests but their power tools are hard to beat. An interesting dichotomy.
Now I am really confused. Bosch owns Freud router bits and they are top quality, Who owns and makes Bosch bits, Freud?

Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Bosch makes Bosch, Skil, and apparently Freud now.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Now I am really confused. Bosch owns Freud router bits and they are top quality, Who owns and makes Bosch bits, Freud?

Bosch subcontractors...
no sense competing w/ yourself...
and there is a never supply of people that think shortsightedly w/ their wallets... cater to them...

Herb
Bosch makes Bosch, Skil, and apparently Freud now.
correct...

Then if Bosch makes Freud bits, why are Bosch not as good as Freud? are they the factory seconds? Made in different factories? doesn't make any sense to me to compromise your good name by selling second quality bits.
Herb
every body out there has an economy line to compete in that arena... they are tailored to the think w/ the wallet market...
Bosch bits do that... and they aren't second quality...

In that case, have Skill tools moved up a quality notch?
no, not really...
Skill is for the wallet crowd...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Maybe they have improved. The test I'm familiar with is getting fairly old now. 2007 i.e.
I remember too Mike from the big D saying once that they weren't that good and he has to be as big a fan of Bosch as you are Stick. I think PC's bits did even worse on the test.

Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 14 of 14 Posts