Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I had a major mowing the lawn last week . I didn’t bag my clippings, so my corneal transplant went off the deep end , breaking a bunch of blood vessels in the eye .
I wear a mask over my mouth and nose ,as I sneeze for days after cutting if I don’t , but safety glasses do not offer me enough protection from the air born particles coming from the grass .

Although I didn’t want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a respirator system, I’m thinking this one from 3M may be the best solution. The replacement filters alone are over $300?
It does not work for paint vapours, but apparently it’s great for dust .

One other problem I have been having is coughing for days after I’ve cut Mdf.
I have dust collection on my TS, and wear a 3M mask , but ten minutes later when I remove the mask , there seems to still be airborne particulates from the mdf .
So I’m thinking , although this is expensive, it may pay off in spades. Not sure if there’s a cheaper price in Canada, or a better solution.
Anyone familiar with this product ?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007PB4C38/?coliid=I3GCFBOWIHTRWW&colid=1ERD0WM4W7HOV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Attachments

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
If dust is hanging around in the air, consider an air filtration unit that has a timer. I have a WEN unit in my shop and another in the garage that I can set to run for 1, 2, 4 or 8 hours. After 2 hours there isn't any dust left in the air, but once in awhile, I let it go for 4 hours. Really helps.

Didn't know you had a corneal transplant. Which may help explain why you're sensitive to blue spectrum LEDs. I have a Rockler battery powered ventilation mask that is very good for dust, add to that an appropriate eye protection of shield, and it might do the trick.

Pix of both attached: Got the WEN for about $100 U.S., the mask is about $80 from Rockler. Good face mask wouldn't be that much either. Maybe those will do the trick.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
safety glasses do not offer me enough protection from the air born particles coming from the grass .

Although I didn’t want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a respirator system, I’m thinking this one from 3M may be the best solution. The replacement filters alone are over $300?
It does not work for paint vapours, but apparently it’s great for dust .

One other problem I have been having is coughing for days after I’ve cut Mdf.
I have dust collection on my TS, and wear a 3M mask , but ten minutes later when I remove the mask , there seems to still be airborne particulates from the mdf .
I have the lawn mowing part solved. I have a lot of trees, and it takes a lot of work to have a lawn. Stopped mowing in '84, when the first ex walked out.

I would think goggles would likely work.

Maybe a respirator like Tom recommended to me. Battery powered, runs around $50 USD. Somewhere on Amazon. 3M?

I deal with MDF dust, by not using MDF. Tried it once, won't use it again I have a window in the back of my shop. I keep it open a bit, and a box fan runs constantly. Any floating dust particles always disappear out the front door quite nicely. Best I can come up with.

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tom, my eye went off the deep end mowing the grass . I did not get impacted by anything .
It’s happened before,but never this serious .
So I pretty need total protection,so whether I like it or not , I think I have to go further in debt and go with the 3M system .
I was also debating to get one of those air filter systems that you hang also .

Joat, I can’t wear googles , as they fog up almost immediately

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Rick,

I have 2 PAPR units, both older models. I have the Triton model, which works very well for what I need, and I have the OLD 3M version that my youngest uses for wood turning. (She has asthma and it can be triggered by the dust). The newer helmet looks a lot smaller than hers, and the battery technology is a lot better if it lives up to the advertisement.

Both were acquired used. The triton I got off of EBAY, the 3M unit at a government surplus auction. My primary goal of using a PAPR was dealing with the summer time humidity, glasses, and a dust mask. I would fog my glasses up so bad I couldn't see, so I wouldn't wear the mask. The PAPR works great for this, I actually will wear it. I really like the blower on the belt, keeps the helmet weight down.

If you don't wear glasses, you might try a full face respirator, they can be had for quite cheap, and are surprisingly comfortable. Just check to see if they have an impact rating if you are going to count on it for primary eye protection.

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick,

I have 2 PAPR units, both older models. I have the Triton model, which works very well for what I need, and I have the OLD 3M version that my youngest uses for wood turning. (She has asthma and it can be triggered by the dust). The newer helmet looks a lot smaller than hers, and the battery technology is a lot better if it lives up to the advertisement.

Both were acquired used. The triton I got off of EBAY, the 3M unit at a government surplus auction. My primary goal of using a PAPR was dealing with the summer time humidity, glasses, and a dust mask. I would fog my glasses up so bad I couldn't see, so I wouldn't wear the mask. The PAPR works great for this, I actually will wear it. I really like the blower on the belt, keeps the helmet weight down.

If you don't wear glasses, you might try a full face respirator, they can be had for quite cheap, and are surprisingly comfortable. Just check to see if they have an impact rating if you are going to count on it for primary eye protection.
I have to wear cheaters , so there’s that . I remember seeing a pic a while back with your daughter using a similar looking system , and was hoping you’d chime in .
Seems weird having to walk around my shop like I’m working with the Ebola virus, but I guess it doesn’t always have to be on .
I get strange enough looks when I’m wearing my 3M mask mowing the lawn . But I sure like not having the allergies later

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Weird looks, or bad lungs........ easy enough choice in my book. I look weird enough without trying anyway.

I have had the luxury of trying a lot of PPE over the years at work, and seen seen some cool, expensive stuff that was supposed to be the end all and beat all. Unfortunately, if the guys won't wear it, it's useless. If you find something that works and that you will use, then you've got something.

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
The rockler mask blows a little air under my glasses so they don't fog up. It's pretty comfortable on my ample schnoz.

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Weird looks, or bad lungs........ easy enough choice in my book. I look weird enough without trying anyway.

I have had the luxury of trying a lot of PPE over the years at work, and seen seen some cool, expensive stuff that was supposed to be the end all and beat all. Unfortunately, if the guys won't wear it, it's useless. If you find something that works and that you will use, then you've got something.
I’m with you . My neighbour says I look like a bug when I cut the lawn . I just like the fact that I never breathed in any grass ,dust or contaminates . I have a few dry spots on my lawn where I need some more seed, and I get quite a dirt storm when I mow over it .
I’d much rather not breath it in,as I think dirt goes in your lungs but so much out .
I may take the plunge and get the one from 3M ,the 300. It doesn’t do paint,(the 600 does) but I’ll use my mask that’s rated for paint for the few times I use spray bombs . I am going to change my gyms yellow equipment to orange, so I will be spraying for a while when the day comes .
But right now my main concern is my lawn and my shop . Seeing as it has face protection,that’s an added bonus there . Hopefully it’d replaceable.

I’m not seeing a better price than on amazon.ca, which is unusual .

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
The rockler mask blows a little air under my glasses so they don't fog up. It's pretty comfortable on my ample schnoz.

Tom...which Rockler one...? The Power Mask...?

It seems to be unavailable at Rockler or anywhere else for that matter...some places say "discontinued"...

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Any fall face respirator needs to be fitted to you or you need to be where you have different sizes available to try. I’m currently back at my seasonal fertilizer job which includes delivering anhydrous ammonia to farmers. The respirators have to fit without leaking or they are nearly useless. These aren’t positive pressure type and positive pressure ones will work better but it’s still safer if they don’t leak and all the exhaust air goes out the exhaust valve. I wear a large in MSA brand. You might be okay with just a proper fitting full face respirator with OV (organic vapour) canisters on it or you may need something with hepa rated filtration depending on your sensitivity to the allergens and their size range (likely very small). The finer the filtration, the more expensive they are and the more often they need to be replaced especially if there is no pre-filtration. Ideally pre-filtration would be washable to keep costs down. If you are cutting mdf in the shop I wouldn’t remove the mask or hood until you walk out and finish brushing yourself off.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Tom, my eye went off the deep end mowing the grass . I did not get impacted by anything .
It’s happened before,but never this serious .
So I pretty need total protection,so whether I like it or not , I think I have to go further in debt and go with the 3M system .
I was also debating to get one of those air filter systems that you hang also .

Joat, I can’t wear googles , as they fog up almost immediately
i think a squirrel cage fan from an old furnace like this moves a bunch more air than the air cleaners you hang up. my A/C guy will hook me up with one and wire it for different speeds when im ready. for now im using three 20" box fans with merv 13 filters. have one pointed in different directions to circulate best.works great low cost

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think a squirrel cage fan from an old furnace like this moves a bunch more air than the air cleaners you hang up. my A/C guy will hook me up with one and wire it for different speeds when im ready. for now im using three 20" box fans with merv 13 filters. have one pointed in different directions to circulate best.works great low cost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzpn09OIyqw
That’s one hell of an idea . The only bad thing would be using real estate , but I’m sure I could make it work . The nice part is cheap filters

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any fall face respirator needs to be fitted to you or you need to be where you have different sizes available to try. I’m currently back at my seasonal fertilizer job which includes delivering anhydrous ammonia to farmers. The respirators have to fit without leaking or they are nearly useless. These aren’t positive pressure type and positive pressure ones will work better but it’s still safer if they don’t leak and all the exhaust air goes out the exhaust valve. I wear a large in MSA brand. You might be okay with just a proper fitting full face respirator with OV (organic vapour) canisters on it or you may need something with hepa rated filtration depending on your sensitivity to the allergens and their size range (likely very small). The finer the filtration, the more expensive they are and the more often they need to be replaced especially if there is no pre-filtration. Ideally pre-filtration would be washable to keep costs down. If you are cutting mdf in the shop I wouldn’t remove the mask or hood until you walk out and finish brushing yourself off.
I have a pretty fat head , so fitting is a concern . I am actually disappointed with my new Apple XS phone with facial recognition. My co-worker held a basket ball up to it , and it unlocked

·
Registered
529 Posts
Rick, I have had a British - made Racal positive pressure face shield for a long time (more than 20 years). Polycarbonate face shield (theoretically replaceable when scratched), has a rechargeable battery pack in the headband itself, replaceable filter also in the headband, came with a little air manometer which showed when the filter was losing efficiency, needed changing. I bought it after reading a recommendation by Richard Raffan, the New Zealand turning maestro. I am not sure if the company still exists - the product may have outlasted them.
Works great for turning, but I cannot use over-the-ear noise protectors (3M) with it, and I find the in-ear types do not stay in my ears. As I get older and deafer, I find my self more intolerant of loud noises, especially tools in a confined space. Turning is just bearable, provided there is no chatter on a spindle.

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rick, I have had a British - made Racal positive pressure face shield for a long time (more than 20 years). Polycarbonate face shield (theoretically replaceable when scratched), has a rechargeable battery pack in the headband itself, replaceable filter also in the headband, came with a little air manometer which showed when the filter was losing efficiency, needed changing. I bought it after reading a recommendation by Richard Raffan, the New Zealand turning maestro. I am not sure if the company still exists - the product may have outlasted them.
Works great for turning, but I cannot use over-the-ear noise protectors (3M) with it, and I find the in-ear types do not stay in my ears. As I get older and deafer, I find my self more intolerant of loud noises, especially tools in a confined space. Turning is just bearable, provided there is no chatter on a spindle.
I’m hoping the face shield is replaceable with the 3M system . Hate to buy the entire head gear if it gets scratched.
So far all I’ve seen is a replaceable filter . A super expensive one .I wish they just had the same round cartridges they use on their other masks

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
I’m hoping the face shield is replaceable with the 3M system . Hate to buy the entire head gear if it gets scratched.
So far all I’ve seen is a replaceable filter . A super expensive one .I wish they just had the same round cartridges they use on their other masks
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Faceshield-Cover-Facepiece-Respirator/dp/B00SCHRVFK?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00SCHRVFK

These little guys go on the front. They take a beating then you peel them off and put a new one on. Were in use WAAAAAY before someone started doing the same thing on smart phones...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
i think a squirrel cage fan from an old furnace like this moves a bunch more air than the air cleaners you hang up...
I just read a review in one of the woodworking mags and a box fan with 20" filter is nearly as effective as many. Even better than some in some ways.

Tim, yours with the multiple filters would probably be the top tool! Good idea using it as a tool stand, that way you're not using too much space.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts