Router Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
It would be great if you could attach your pdf on how you make these boxes. I'd love to try my hand at making them and advice from an obviously skilled woodworker would sure help.
Wonderful work and a great attitude.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It would be great if you could attach your pdf on how you make these boxes. I'd love to try my hand at making them and advice from an obviously skilled woodworker would sure help.
Wonderful work and a great attitude.
I'll see what I can put together.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A dear friend asked if I would make two funeral urns like the one that I had made for her dad. These are for her and her husband. The friend's mom supplied me with two walnut boards.

These are 8-sided with maple splines.

Also another lady asked for a memory box for her 1-year old granddaughter. I made it out of bubinga with maple splines.

While I was at it I made an 8-sided box out of ambrosia maple and put hickory top on it.

I use a bird-mouth router bit to make all the corners of the 4-boxes. The finish is oil-base Zar polyurethane diluted with 50/50 mineral spirits.

These are just some of what I have made in the past two weeks.

Also, I delivered 15 boxes and 3-baskets to Down Syndrome Society.

I have been documenting how I make boxes. I was doing this in Word. I sent a message to Router Forum Administrator asking if a Word Document would be acceptable, but never got a response.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA
Malcolm, do you find that the "bird's mouth" router bits give you "near perfect" fits versus using a table saw or miter saw?
Jimmy Dee

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Malcolm, do you find that the "bird's mouth" router bits give you "near perfect" fits versus using a table saw or miter saw?
Jimmy Dee
I plane my boards to .46".

I make sure one edge is completely straight by running it over the jointer. I mark the opposite edge from end to end. I also put a mark an inch or so from end to end about 1" from what will be the top of the box. So now I know what will be the outside of the box and what will be the top portion of the box.

If my board is a little longer than I will need, I pass the end of the board by the router bit to ensure the bit height and fence is set at the correct place. I generally get a perfect joint and the end of the boards will fit into the corner pieces that are 1" wide. I also use a push board that is against the fence and pushes my work piece by the bit. I have to make sure my work piece is cut at 90 degree and they are parallel. When I cut the pieces to length they will be the correct length, but they may not be parallel. After cutting pieces to the length I run them through the tablesaw to make sure they are parallel. To do this I put the edge that was against my miter gauge. The cut will be on what will be the top section of the box. Hope this helps.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts