Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On February 1st around 1:30am, my son heard a lout banging sound outside his window.

When he looked out, there were flames coming out of the wall of the garage.

He called 911, we all got out of the house, put the dog inside the truck and moved all our vehicles.

Fire department was here within 15 minutes and saved our house because it is only 4 foot away.

All my equipment is a total loss. Thank goodness we have good insurance.

We had a brand new freezer full of food, the insurance adjuster told us not to open it because the food is now contaminated.

All the fire inspectors came to the conclusion that it was a lipo battery that exploded causing the fire.

Rechargeable tool batteries and the chargers can also explode, so Please, if you have any tool batteries, PLEASE do NOT leave them on the charger, and make sure the charger is UNPLUGGED also because they can explode too!!!
397645
397646
397647
397648
tteries, do not .
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
37 Posts
Wow, So sorry to hear this. Must be so frustrating to have this happen to you. Hopefully, the insurance will cover all your loses and your up and running again soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, So sorry to hear this. Must be so frustrating to have this happen to you. Hopefully, the insurance will cover all your loses and your up and running again soon.
Should be up and running some time in the summer.
The important thing is NOBODY GOT HURT. Material things can be replaced.
 

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
Joined
·
4,900 Posts
Thank the Lord only stuff was lost.


My next house is going to have a detached workshop. Right now it's underneath 2 bedrooms. I am always concerned about a fire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank the Lord only stuff was lost.


My next house is going to have a detached workshop. Right now it's underneath 2 bedrooms. I am always concerned about a fire.
Our garage is detached, but only 5ft away. They will tear it down and rebuild. I think I want a separate room for the workshop. That way we can pull in the car and my shop will not loose heat.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MEBCWD and kp91

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
wow - totally speechless.
as said - thank goodness your home was spared and everyone is okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,361 Posts
Feeling for you. Good Luck.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kcortese12

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,475 Posts
Very sorry to hear this . Thank you for the info ,as I keep my batteries on the charger on occasion. Not anymore .
 

·
Official Greeter
Ross
Joined
·
8,884 Posts
That’s sad, hopefully we can all learn from this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: papasombre

·
Premium Member
Frank
Joined
·
332 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. Can not image what is going through your mind right now. I built a charging station several years ago. I remove the batteries from each tool after use and after charging, I have a master switch to turn off power to charger. My 47’x32’ garage/workshop is 50’ from house. My major concern is my gas heater failing.

Hope insurance does not cause you a problem and you get everything replace soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
Sorry to know that, Kcortese12.
Thanks to God your son heard the explosion and could get the alarm.
Another fact to take into consideration about cordless tools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
On February 1st around 1:30am, my son heard a lout banging sound outside his window.

When he looked out, there were flames coming out of the wall of the garage.

He called 911, we all got out of the house, put the dog inside the truck and moved all our vehicles.

Fire department was here within 15 minutes and saved our house because it is only 4 foot away.

All my equipment is a total loss. Thank goodness we have good insurance.

We had a brand new freezer full of food, the insurance adjuster told us not to open it because the food is now contaminated.

All the fire inspectors came to the conclusion that it was a lipo battery that exploded causing the fire.

Rechargeable tool batteries and the chargers can also explode, so Please, if you have any tool batteries, PLEASE do NOT leave them on the charger, and make sure the charger is UNPLUGGED also because they can explode too!!! View attachment 397645 View attachment 397646 View attachment 397647 View attachment 397648 tteries, do not .
I had a friend that hired a painter to paint the inside of their house. The painter had plugged a battery charger in their garage and put a battery in it then left for the evening. The friend came home at night and saw smoke coming from their garage. It was the battery and charger that caused the fire. They were fortunate that they caught it as soon as it started.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is fine. The insurance company will feel the bite if lumber prices are as crazy where you are as they are in my area. $6 for a not so nice 2x4........how anyone can afford to build these days is a wonder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear this, but glad nobody was injured. Just curious as to what device you had that was using a LiPo battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Yes, I've heard about LiPo batteries in RC planes being dangerous, but I don't know what elso LiPo batteries are used for??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very sorry to hear this . Thank you for the info ,as I keep my batteries on the charger on occasion. Not anymore .
Just keep the chargers unplugged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I've heard about LiPo batteries in RC planes being dangerous, but I don't know what elso LiPo batteries are used for??
Lipo batteries are used in anything with remote controls. My son had them for his RC cars, my husband has them for his RC planes. My husband has his Lipo batteries in bags, and purchased a metal ammunition box with lid to store them in. That way the batteries are double canceled in case of explosion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a friend that hired a painter to paint the inside of their house. The painter had plugged a battery charger in their garage and put a battery in it then left for the evening. The friend came home at night and saw smoke coming from their garage. It was the battery and charger that caused the fire. They were fortunate that they caught it as soon as it started.
Oh no!!! So glad they were able to extinguish the fire before they lost the building.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top