Router Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
Joined
·
7,136 Posts
Bummer, but it could have been worse. One more thing to add to my list of why I do not use battery powered anything, except flashlights. All my cordless tools fall into the category of hand powered, saw, brace and bit, hammer, and so on.
 
  • Like
Reactions: papasombre

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,700 Posts
Definitely a lesson there. A good idea to do either a written or video inventory of your tools and other equipment. Insurance companies can be fussy about replacing equipment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Sorry to hear. A good reminder to watch those batteries. My son had a battery in charger burst in flames. Damage was minor, just desk, carpet and paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,652 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your problem and loss. Battery problem potential is always on my mind. All the best in recovery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
So sorry to hear about your misfortune. Thanks for sharing this as it may prevent the next fire. I have all my chargers plugged into one power bar that has a disconnect switch, which I turn off once the charging it complete but I have left a battery in it to charge overnight. I won't be doing that anymore. Hope everything goes well with your insurance company.
 

·
Official Greeter
Joined
·
18,811 Posts
Wow... sad to hear that news.

Re, charging the batteries. @harrysin put me on to a HPM timer that can be set for up to 4 hrs then switches off at the power point. There should be a similar timer available in the US?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
Absolutely speechless!! It is so sad to see the destruction. As long as everyone is OK the rest can be replaced or fixed. I have always been paranoid about batteries and chargers so I never leave them on or plugged in. So sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing, even though you must be so upset!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,946 Posts
Wow glad everyone is ok very scary. My son has those batteries for his drone I will let him know. I hope you get back up and running soon.
 

·
Registered
Paul
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fire. Good thing that you had insurance and nobody was hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
wow, devastating.

i saw your extreme persistence when you were trying to get your previous cnc working. so there is no doubt you will come out above this. i truly hope it all works out for you...

never heard of lipo batteries...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
WOW, I had not heard of Lipo batteries. I am going to have to figure out if we have any of those around. Sorry for your loss, but thank you for the heads up.

Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Take lots of pictures. I used a rake to go through the stuff in our house fire and took pictures of each item. They can't argue with photo evidence. Sorry for your loss. Fire is a tough. Look around closely at your fire restoration and cleanup. Some of them spend more time in court than they do fixing your house right contractors with the lowest bid often do very shoddy work. We went to court 3 different times and won all 3 and our lawyers said they can keep appealing it. How much money do you want to loose on this. Guy with the most money wins sad to say. Also your house insurance will more than double for about 4 years even when it's no fault of yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
On February 1st around 1:30am, my son heard a lout banging sound outside his window.

When he looked out, there were flames coming out of the wall of the garage.

He called 911, we all got out of the house, put the dog inside the truck and moved all our vehicles.

Fire department was here within 15 minutes and saved our house because it is only 4 foot away.

All my equipment is a total loss. Thank goodness we have good insurance.

We had a brand new freezer full of food, the insurance adjuster told us not to open it because the food is now contaminated.

All the fire inspectors came to the conclusion that it was a lipo battery that exploded causing the fire.

Rechargeable tool batteries and the chargers can also explode, so Please, if you have any tool batteries, PLEASE do NOT leave them on the charger, and make sure the charger is UNPLUGGED also because they can explode too!!! View attachment 397645 View attachment 397646 View attachment 397647 View attachment 397648 tteries, do not .
This is a tragedy. It matters not how much you realize from your insurance. There are so many valuables that cannot be replaced. I wish you well and hope you can get everything replaced that you have lost.
My daddy used to tell me threee moves are as good as a fire. This is obviously not true. I would be so devastated, I would not even know how to start to clean up and rectify your damage. I wish you well and May You be Blessed in Your Endeavors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
So ,so sorry for your loss, glad no one was hurt and seems you have a handle on things going forward, so sad anyway. You will come back stronger, and better. It helps me realize getting our home needs a bigger breaker box to handle the garage now is something that will happen very soon after seeing your pictures. Until then everything except the lighting in the garage in shut down, turned off, un-plugged . And I will plug the battery chargers ASAP,
Thank God for good insurance, and that you a had it.
May God bless you and your family as you all go forward after this happened, and may God give you the strength to never give up, In Jesus' name I ask, Amen!

Be Blessed through it all.
Ray
 
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Top