Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Painter
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend started ordering shoes awhile back. At first it was just a pair a month, but now it’s a couple pairs a week. The pile of shoes in our entry way has flowed southward like a glacier over the last few months. There’s 14 pairs of shoes in front of the refrigerator right now. I have no problem with her buying shoes because scattered among the boxes of Nikes and Pumas on the delivery trucks are my regular tool shipments that happen weekly if not more often.
Today I finally got a physical number of pairs that she had for a goal. 50.
I’m curious if any of you folks might have some ideas besides plain square cubby boxes for 50 pairs of shoes.
The area I have to play with is 12’x7’. I’d like to only use one wall but I think she might have thrown the number 50 out just to shut me up so I might have to plan for overflow. I’m sure you folks will have some good advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
22,197 Posts
She may be buying many different styles, including boots, or shoes with high heels that need different size cubbyholes than simple, smaller shoes. I suggest you build a box the size of the space, then put in a set of vertical boards wide enough to hold a typical pair of shoes. Then cut slots *dados in the vertical boards at different intervals so you can slide in a standard size piece of 1/4 inch Masonite. You can adjust the space to the pair in that slot. Do a roundover on the front edge of the boards for appearance sake. Cut lots of dividers, then she can organize her shoes as she wishes.

Paint or finish in natural wood. If you make it of plywood, you'll need to add a strip of woood to the front edge. I'd do that before cutting the dados. Shoes are light enough so the 1/4 inch will hold anything but clodhoppers nicely.

I would cut the dados offset from each other so you don't weaken the verticals. I'd cut the dados about 3/8ths deep so they get a good grip on the masonite spacers. I'd probably make it with a 1/4 back so I could fasten the verticals through it for a little more strength.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My girlfriend started ordering shoes awhile back. At first it was just a pair a month, but now it’s a couple pairs a week. The pile of shoes in our entry way has flowed southward like a glacier over the last few months. There’s 14 pairs of shoes in front of the refrigerator right now. I have no problem with her buying shoes because scattered among the boxes of Nikes and Pumas on the delivery trucks are my regular tool shipments that happen weekly if not more often.
Today I finally got a physical number of pairs that she had for a goal. 50.
I’m curious if any of you folks might have some ideas besides plain square cubby boxes for 50 pairs of shoes.
The area I have to play with is 12’x7’. I’d like to only use one wall but I think she might have thrown the number 50 out just to shut me up so I might have to plan for overflow. I’m sure you folks will have some good advice. Thank you.
When I'm looking for ideas on a build, Sometimes I'll check out "Bing Images". Then type in a possible idea for a search. Such as Shoe Rack, DIY shoe rack, wood craft projects, wood craft show project. Or something to that effect.

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts