Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to purchase a gift for my husband. He has a Jet bandsaw Model # JSL-12BS

I am looking for a router gauge guide. When I google it I either get one for a 14" or one for a table saw. Can anyone

please tell me where I can find this?

Thanking anyone in advance for any help you may be able to give me!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can’t tell if you are asking for help with a fence, a miter gauge or something else. Not sure how to use a “router gauge guide” on a bandsaw

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That might be my problem. I know he has a guide on his table saw. He mentioned he would like one for his band saw. It seems it's something to help keep whatever he is cutting straight (?) or in place. Does that make sense? I think it is a miter gauge.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Welcome Sandy...
I believe you are looking for a miter gauge...
can you show us what the one on the table saw looks like...
you can up upload a picture providing they reside on the device you are posting from...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Hey Sandy--welcome!!

Miter gauge makes more sense, take a look at this one https://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_Miter_V27_p/miterv27.htm You could spend half as much for lesser quality somewhere, but Incra stuff is pretty accurate. Or--for $20 more you can get the V120 with 120 pre-set stops instead of 27 https://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_Miter_V120_p/miterv120.htm. That may sound like overkill--but with 120 pre-set stops he should have any angle he wants. The sites linked are for the manufacturer's web site, Amazon carries the V120 at under $70 with free shipping.

I'd be highly impressed if my wife gave me anything Incra--and she sees a bunch of their product in my shop!!

earl

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
Just a thought...

As Greenacres suggested, the Incra miter gauge is helpful when cross cutting small parts or cutting accurate miters (angled cuts).

AND...it will work on a table saw or in your case, the band saw. In other words, the slot is 3/4 inch wide and usually 3/8 inch deep. For it to work on the table saw, the slot would also have to be 3/4 inch wide. Some saws have goofy slots that won't allow aftermarket gauges.

I looked up the manual for y'alls Jet band saw and the slot is 3/4 inch wide and 3/8 inch deep.

https://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_Miter_V120_p/miterv120.htm

Hope this helps.
Mike

EDIT: I took a few pics of my Incra HD 1000 miter gauge. It fits my table saw slot and the band saw slot. The gauge fence is adjustable so it can be used on either one. I have also used it on the compact DeWalt table saw I use for work out of the shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for giving such helpful answers and for going the extra mile in checking that the Incra V120 will work on my husband's band saw!

I really like the idea of him being able to have so many cuts so I think I will go with the one you have recommended.

He is going to be so surprised when he opens this! ( he will just assume I am not getting it for him since I haven't asked any more questions about it!!)

Only then will I tell him about the great group of guys I found on here!

Thank you all so very much!! I will sure know where to come next time I need some help. Merry Christmas to all of you and thanks again!! Sandy

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Thank you all for giving such helpful answers and for going the extra mile in checking that the Incra V120 will work on my husband's band saw!

I really like the idea of him being able to have so many cuts so I think I will go with the one you have recommended.

He is going to be so surprised when he opens this! ( he will just assume I am not getting it for him since I haven't asked any more questions about it!!)

Thank you all so very much!! I will sure know where to come next time I need some help. Merry Christmas to all of you and thanks again!! Sandy
Hi Sandy - welcome to the forum and glad you thought to ask for some advice.

So, don't let your husband see this forum until AFTER he gets his gift. By the way, do you have any sisters? Just kidding???????

Vince

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

I hope he's not like my wife's husband--or he'll open the one he got for himself and the one you got him!!

I think he'll be surprised, and happy!!
earl

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
And merry Christmas right back. You've left a great impression here. In fact I think a few confirmed bachelors are reconsidering their position. :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh my gosh! You guys are great! I will be celebrating my 25th anniversary Monday! But...since you asked Vince...I have a beautiful sister...and she is single.

Alas...like many of you confirmed bachelors...she is single....and determined to stay that way.

Thanks again all of you. This is a great forum. I hope you all receive your heart's desires on Christmas...and in the New Year! XOXO

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Sandy, I got to your question too late since you have already ordered. But I think your husband is looking for a fence not a miter gauge. A miter gauge is not used for cutting things straight it is used for cutting angles. If he has a table saw then he most likely has a miter gauge and he most likely uses it on the band saw when he needs a miter gauge
For a fence you could get either the Kreg fence or the Magswitch fence.
The Incra miter gauge is not practical for a band saw. The reason being that a band saw is not a precision saw like a table saw. The only time you could even hope to get the accuracy that the Incra gauge will give would be using a 1/8" blade and cutting very narrow wood. Normally on a band saw you use a wider blade. The band saw normally is used for less precision work like resawing boards to make them thinner. However if your husband has a table saw and if the gauge would fit it then he will have a gauge that can be used on both saws.

sawhttp://www.rockler.com/kreg-precision-band-saw-fence?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsK7RBRDzARIsAM2pTZ_2Kjz4W7eB3AZB5VJwNgfQyTimMWALTIi5iWs3Bwo5Y7ygnrnqrWAaAk07EALw_wcB

https://www.infinitytools.com/saw-b...ccessories/magswitch-universal-t-track-fences

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Oh my gosh! You guys are great! I will be celebrating my 25th anniversary Monday! But...since you asked Vince...I have a beautiful sister...and she is single.

Alas...like many of you confirmed bachelors...she is single....and determined to stay that way.

Thanks again all of you. This is a great forum. I hope you all receive your heart's desires on Christmas...and in the New Year! XOXO
I'm sure your sister is lovely. I'm a confirmed bachelor too, but alas, I've been married for 44 years.:laugh2:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts