Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Welcome to the forums...
here and woodworking are great places to be...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Welcome back to woodworking...from what I hear, it's just like riding a bicycle... :grin:

I would also think that whatever tools you had will keep on working...most of the new fan-dangled stuff is just like colors on fishing lures...meant to attract the fisherman more than the fish... :smile:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Donald and welcome. If you ask us questions about how to do something we will often check your bio to see what tools and experience you have before we suggest something so it will be helpful if you fill that information in.

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Welcome back to woodworking...from what I hear, it's just like riding a bicycle... :grin:

I would also think that whatever tools you had will keep on working...most of the new fan-dangled stuff is just like colors on fishing lures...meant to attract the fisherman more than the fish... :smile:
Truth. As evidence I cite 1/2 of the Rockler catalog. :grin: But there are some real advances. The Incra LS positioner is one. Spiral, multi cutter heads on planers and joiners are another (well hobbyist affordable anyway). Another is the Incra ruler/square with marking cutouts for really precise marking. The older scribes worked ok but the Incra is a step well above. The little Wixey angle gauge is another. I can set my TS blade to 90 degrees in almost no time with it. Router lifts have gotten pretty darn good, too. And that internet thing - it puts more information and ideas at your disposal that a human can cope with. At the risk of starting a debate, there is also the whole CNC thing...

Anyway, welcome, Donald. I think it's a wonderful time to be a woodworker!

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
Glad you decided to join the fun. About 12 years ago, I decided to set up a shop and start doing woodworking. I'd done carpentry, DIY, repairs all my life, but woodworking is a whole different level. It is very rewarding and this site has helped me a LOT. I'm attaching a pdf you can download that's been growing over several years. It's about the 18 plus areas and things that helped accelerate my learning curve. It's 10 pages long, has pictures. I had my best earning years as I built up my shop, so don't think you have to get everything all at once.

Hint, Table saw early on. There are so many things you can do with that one power tool. It's the center of most shops.

This is a truly wonderful, challenging, satisfying addiction/hobby. Welcome to the party, you'll never find a more helpful bunch of folks.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
19,759 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Donald.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.