Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a few projects in my new shop. I still have to get back to the shop completion.

Then I shut production down to get my sawmill assembled. The overhead crane and machinery rollers have been a lifesaver! Once it has been assembled and proven, I will build an open enclosure to store the boards. I don't have the room to stage the boards, then move them again! Then I can begin to work!!!

It has been a fun build, but I will be soon learning the sawmill basics. I have a good friend that has been involved in woodworking and saw-milling for quite a few years. He is coming over to see my new setup and guide me on: the best way to saw up my logs, and the stacking/sticker process. I am looking forward to my new adventures.
Wood Floor Flooring Engineering Toolroom
Naval architecture Bumper Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle
Wood Asphalt Flooring Floor Engineering

·
Registered
22,228 Posts
Do you have trees you can harvest on your property? I really enjoy watching the videos of saw mills at work, and hope you'll shoot and share some when you get it going. Great, spacious shop.

·
Registered
22,228 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of board feet! We have fires every few years and one year, a huge sycamore trunk, 2.5 to 3 foot across, maybe 30 ft long lay on the ground for a months. Someone finally removed it, but that would have been a lot of wood, and heavy. We live down from a mountain area where the tree density is way to high, so it burns like matchsticks going off. So they have slowly cut down many of the large trees, mostly pine, and several mills have been turning them into lumber and the smaller bits sell as firewood. If you don't remove some of the old trees, there won't be room for younger trees to grow into old giants. Hope you can get someone to take some video of you milling those beauties so we get to see the process.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that I will loose some due to bugs, etc. They have been on the ground for over a year. I did put them on Landscape timbers to slow it down, Whatever I get is all Lagniappe!!!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I know that I will loose some due to bugs, etc. They have been on the ground for over a year. I did put them on Landscape timbers to slow it down, Whatever I get is all Lagniappe!!!
I guess I missed it but what make and model of sawmill? I have to check it out.

·
Registered
22,228 Posts
Yes that is the one! I bought the one that is the Trailer design. I don't have enough land for it to be stationary. I do have the option to mount it stationary!
It can cut a 24" bark to bark log, 10 1/2 feet long.
You might consider some sort of tenting over it to keep rain and snow off of it? I know you have it in your shop, but it takes a lot of space. Or make a lean-to off the side of the shop. Lay some concrete pavers for it to sit on. It's a great machine and worth a little extra protection. I have to admit that I am fascinated by these mills. There are some shows set in Alaska and in a couple of them, a homesteader has one of these. Not only for their own projects, but they provide income as well. You've got to be able to produce some mighty interesting slabs. I have been shocked at how much a slab with interesting grain sells for. Looking forward to seeing how you use it. I know that in some places guys with mills have teamed up with arborists and tree trimmers to get trunks when a tree is removed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As of now I have a 10 X 10 popup tent that I will be using when I am cutting to protect me from the sun. Once I am done with the mill, in my yard, I will look at a proper covering and foundation.
I just don't know exactly where it will live yet.
Thank you for the great suggestions!!!
I am working on the wiring of the trailer.
Next will be the sawmill head assembly framing. Then it can be lifted onto the trailer and located to a fixed location. I have to drill 4 holes in the trailer for clinch pins to locate the head for transporting.
This is a solid sawmill!!!

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,361 Posts
I have a crane that runs the 40" length of my shop!
Finally someone with a shop smaller than mine! LOL! I'm sure you meant 40', correct?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Floor

Just about completely assembled. i will add some angle iron to the bunks to mount some 2 x 12 boards when I have shorter lengths or some "cookies" to slice up.
I also realized that the 6' logs are too short to span across 3 bunks, 7' minimum. I cut them up before I realized that I would be buying a sawmill. I might try to lay some 8' 2x4's with a sheet of 3/4 ply over the ramps. The shorter logs are also the smaller diameter logs.
We have ways!!! Lol

·
Registered
22,228 Posts
That is a real beauty. Wish I were there to see it in action. One thing I found interesting while watching videos is just how much sawdust they throw off. Definitely not an indoor sport. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts