Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search but really couldn't find anything for my topic. So I apologize if I am repeating a question. My friend is a operates a CNC machine and recently bought a personal one for hobby/side business. I would like to get him a gift that will help him get started. Can you give me ideas on good Christmas gifts that he will find useful in starting out?

Thanks
Meg

·
Super Moderator
499 Posts
lots and lots of exotic wood lumber in the basic 1 to 2" thick and 12-16" wide and about 8' long.
and a few speciality CNC carving bits for stocking stuffers.
or - to keep it simple; a monetary gift card so he can buy what he "needs" to get started.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,185 Posts
Would it be better to do like a lowes/home depot gift card or a hobby store?
Welcome to the forum, Meg! It depends on what they plan to make, really. If they're wanting softwoods like Pine then Lowe's is a good choice. But if they'll be using hardwoods like Walnut, Maple, Cherry, etc. then Lowe's is one of the highest priced places to buy, if they even have any. The bits they'll have are basic light duty hobby stuff with 1/4" shafts and I would only use them in an emergency on my CNC. Amazon is a great place to buy bits like Amana, Whiteside, Freud, etc.

Do you know which CNC they have? That could help with accessories.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I would ask him what he would like to go with his new CNC as you really want to give him something that he has his eye on.

·
Official Greeter
19,735 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
All kinds of things. A digital caliber about 40 bucks. Extra router collets so he doesn't handle hot sharp bits. 5 to 15 dollars each depending on the router. Dap 30 minute glue and some excellerator about 20.00. A package of brass screws for hold down clamps. A sheet of MDF for some projects. Some quarter inch plywood for sacrfical boards. I could go on and on. Have a Merry Christmas!

·
Official Greeter
19,735 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts