Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Iam currently working on a sign project and like all signs I've made in the past my process is to natural stain the sign blank (usually cedar or cypress) to seal the wood up before painting my lettering / background. What I would like to know is if someone has done gold leaf gilding on the raised lettering?

Can you apply a primer/sizing after you have applied an oil stain that will work on top of the stain in order to apply (artificial) gold leaf?

I would appreciate any input on this. In the past I've only used enamel paints for my lettering.

thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
Steve, I don't have an answer for you. Sorry.

But I also hate to see a thread not get some sort of a reply. LOL

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.Steve
it some times takes 24 hours for answers the forum is world wide

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I have not done gold leaf before, But I have had successful results of using sanding sealer over oil based stain and then water based finish over that. Sanding sealer is dilute dewaxed shellac. Possibly a spray lacquer would seal the stain also. might be a good idea to try a couple of samples. Let us know the results of your experiments.

Herb

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
I think you'll be okay, Steve. The sizing is basically glue and I've successfully used glue on pre-stained wood. It's not like a structural joint so the glue should hold well enough for the super thin gilding. But, when in doubt always try it on a scrap piece first. Make sure you post photos when you're done so we can all appreciate your work.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,338 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve . Sorry I have nothing to add , just like making new members feel welcome :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Reactions: swaldroop

·
Registered
130 Posts
New Yankee Workshop - Giltwood Mirror

You might want to take a look at how Norm Abram does it:-

Reactions: Stick486

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hello everyone, Iam currently working on a sign project and like all signs I've made in the past my process is to natural stain the sign blank (usually cedar or cypress) to seal the wood up before painting my lettering / background. What I would like to know is if someone has done gold leaf gilding on the raised lettering?

Can you apply a primer/sizing after you have applied an oil stain that will work on top of the stain in order to apply (artificial) gold leaf?

I would appreciate any input on this. In the past I've only used enamel paints for my lettering.

thanks
Welcome to the forum Steve.

Way back in 1970 I had a sign shop up in Whitehorse. I have done some gilding, but using genuine gold leaf from the booklets. I'm not sure how well the sizing will stick on top of an oil stain, but I seem to remember it sticking well to just about everything. I guess the only way you are going to find out is by testing it.

You mention an artificial leaf...do you still use a gilding brush to apply the leaf with? I've not seen artificial leaf before. I remember using a gold "paint" before, but it comes out looking quite flat, as compared to the burnished genuine leaf.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

thanks
We did a very small amount of gilding, with some gold leaf left over from grandfathers stock. No knowledge in advance, so we painted the item with upva wood glue, then stuck the leaf down onto that and rubbed really hard to remove any air bubbles.

Its very long lasting, has been outside in 100F summers (direct sunlight) and almost freezing winters for 4 years now, still looks good.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I don't have the time, patience, attention level, or skill to even attempt something like that. Hate to see what you have to sell something like that for - and can you even get enough to cover your time. And all the materials don't look cheap, Wow.

HJ

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
I don't have the time, patience, attention level, or skill to even attempt something like that. Hate to see what you have to sell something like that for - and can you even get enough to cover your time. And all the materials don't look cheap, Wow.

HJ
The artificial gold leaf is cheap, John and looks pretty good when finished. It probably won't stand up to the weather like the real stuff but it's cheap enough to redo it when needed. I used on a project in the past although it was a while ago and I can't remember what it was. :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts