1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Administrator
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Nice system. My shop is well insulated so it stays fairly cool most of the day in the summer and I have a radiant tube heater for winter so that would be a tough question as to whether I would put it in the shop or my house.

Reactions: Cricket

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Sure Can Use This

How do you keep your workshop area cool in the summer and warm in the winter?

I work out of an uninsulated Florida garage. Heating is never a real issue, but cooling is! Generally, it's open doors and a big noisy fan for the cooling. Oh, and lots of water to drink.

Where will you use the Sharp Mini Split if you win?

Unlike somebody, here, I'd be insulating the garage.

What is really impressive is the 22 SER rating.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
thanks for the offer but there is no need here for one...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
In SW Missouri during the summer it gets pretty warm and I use fans and the exit method. It gets to warm I exit the shop. In winter I have a couple of electric heaters that keep it fairly warm. If it gets to cold I use the winter exit method. I go in the house. I would definitely install the unit in the shop.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,786 Posts
In the summer, the garage is actually pretty cool in the morning as long as I don't open the bay doors too often. After 1300, it starts to get pretty hot. When that point is reached, both bay doors open and the circulating fan is run. At sundown, the doors have to be closed so the mosquitoes don't begin feasting on me, so a low speed fan is used.

In the winter, I have a propane heater that I use to get the shop up to temperature, then I shut it off and it's usually not that bad as long as I don't go in and out of the big doors.

I would love the mini split system to use for my wife's sitting/sewing/workout room that we added on a while back. The heating and cooling ducts for that room hang inside of my workshop, and lower the effective ceiling height a foot. Plus, it is hard to balance that room with the rest of the house, so she usually supplements with a space heater in the winter time. The ability to have that room on it's own thermostat will give me back my overhead clearance and probably put a dent on the power bill.

·
Registered
354 Posts

I have a window air conditioner, and a 220 volt electric heater....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where will you use the Sharp mini split, if you win ??

In my well insulated stand-alone shop....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well....in the summer i open both ends of the shop and turn on the fans, in the winter.....pretty much the same thing..lol...on cooler days I might light a propane heater.

This would be perfect in the office......gets a little toasty in there.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My shop is heated by the sun during the spring, summer and fall months. In the winter I have a propane heater but it doesn't do much.

If I were to win I would probably use it in my 3 Seasons room which I try to use year around.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Fans for cooling and propane heaters in the winter months. I would install the heater in my shop.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

In my well insulated stand-alone shop....
Radiant floor heat..
and it seldom gets much above 70° w/ really really low humidity..

berserk R levels of insulation..

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
My shop is in the basement so I have it heat and air-conditioned.
If i was to get the SHARP 9000 I would install it in the garage because I have some larger equipment like panel saw and would like a larger CNC table

·
Registered
7 Posts
My workshop is so minuscule that in inclement weather, if a portable fan or space heater is insufficient, I must forgo the current project in favor of planing the next.

·
Super Moderator
David
3,583 Posts

Currently using a 12,000 BTU 22 SEER Gree mini-split for our attached and well insulated two-car garage in northwest Louisiana - hot, humid in the summer and colder than you would think in the winter.

Where will you use the Sharp Mini Split if you win?

I need a smaller shop out back for my guitar building and the Sharp mini-split would be perfect for that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My shop in neither heated or cooled. I use window fans in the summer and a portable heater to preheat my shop in the winter.

I would use the Sharp Mini Split in my work shop to extend my "wookable day's".

·
Registered
813 Posts
A needed expansion

Since my shop is in my basement, it is conditioned by my home furnace/air. My shop is only 13'x19', and it would be nice to expand into my un-heated garage to gain shop space. I have not done so due to not being able to control the humidity to prevent rust. The heat pump sounds like a great solution for year around use and could be quite economical to run. I would use this in my garage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My shop/garage has no adequate climate control. It is heated in the summer and cooled in the winter largely by the local temperatures. Temperature extremes are moderated by a space heater in the winter and a south breeze in the summer. A mini split system would allow comfortable year around shop usage.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
This woulbe a good answer

I currently work in an uninsulated garage. It us unheated in winter and just have fans for summer.

This would do great with some insulation!:smile

1 - 20 of 215 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.