Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new here, building a new vanity cabinet. I will be laminating formica to 3/4" birch a-a plywood leaving a raw edge. Face frame, doors, drawers and one end panel will be laminated. I've never done this before but am skilled. What glue is recommended? I am leaning towards solvent based adhesive/glue. One forum article that sounded good was thinning the glue with acetone so it spreads thin soaks in and doesn't leave clumps. Three coats each surface? So what glues do you use? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have used contact cement many times under different circumstances. I glued a vinyl sheet product to a boat floor 19'x7', that was fun, repaired bicycle tubes, patched my work jeans etc.. I have watched you tube and will use your advice and practice on some scrap pieces. Have you laminated recently with formica to plywood? What brand glue did you use?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks old55, Rebel, what brand and part number for 5 gal glue. Will the small j roller work or should i also have the 7" wide one with handle to lean into? Rebel, John, would you make the face frame a single piece of formica glued to the face frame or pieces of formica with seams where the wood face frame seams are? I"m not sure how a pro would do it. Like your black cabinet the face frame seams would be hidden until you opened a drawer. Or another way? I'm leaning toward all one piece formica. I have a 5'x12' piece of formica on order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess everyone uses weldwood so that's what I bought (solvent based). Cant find gallon's near by so bought 2 quarts. Bought a 7.5" roller and a 3" roller. Thinned with acetone and got good penetration with paint brush 2 coats and glued a 36"x 21" panel together. It stuck and no bubbles using sticks and working from middle out. Might be in the market for a new trim router.. Looking at dwp611pk or mabe makita rt0701cx3, many don't like bosh fine adjustment? Any thoughts. I have an old craftsman right now. I assume most put a slight chamfer on formica. On the faceframe of the cabinet I will have many inside corners to finish and a router wont do tight 90 degree corners or am i wrong? I think i will need to hand file the inside corners. As of now i am not edge banding could still change my mind as not that far into project. I kinda like natural edge showing plywood laminate layers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts