Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not Throw-Back-Thursday but here's some pics from about ten years ago.

It sure was a foggy day. That delayed our launch for a while. We ran from the end of the Texas City Dike out to the Galveston North Jetty...about 9 miles of slow going.

This particular time of year, the big black drum are on the move, either coming in from the gulf or going out. They wouldn't tell me. which way they were going. :grin: I don't think we had any keepers because the fish were all over the maximum length of 30 inches. But that is OK. We were there to catch and release. It's the fight that is fun. :)

I caught a nice redfish and Pat caught the big drum. All in all, it was a fun day.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Looks like fun!!!!!!

HJ

Reactions: ksidwy

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Nice fish Mike, wish we had good bottom fishing here like we used to, I get tired of eating just salmon. Man, those would make some good eating. The commercial drag netters destroyed our cod,grouper etc. fishery.
Herb

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I know it's not Throw-Back-Thursday but here's some pics from about ten years ago.

It sure was a foggy day. That delayed our launch for a while. We ran from the end of the Texas City Dike out to the Galveston North Jetty...about 9 miles of slow going.

This particular time of year, the big black drum are on the move, either coming in from the gulf or going out. They wouldn't tell me. which way they were going. :grin: I don't think we had any keepers because the fish were all over the maximum length of 30 inches. But that is OK. We were there to catch and release. It's the fight that is fun. :)

I caught a nice redfish and Pat caught the big drum. All in all, it was a fun day.
Mike I believe you have the perfect wife. She like to fish and do wood working. You better take special care of her.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a nice looking boat, looks fast sitting on the trailer. How long did it take to go 9 mi.?

Looks like that hull would cut right thru choppy water.

Herb
Thanks Herb. Top speed loaded for fishing (gas, bait, ice) was about 48 mph w/2 people.

It was really stable in light chop, much more so than my previous model. This one is 21'3 inches in length. The other one was an 18 footer. So in a light chop, this boat would hit the first and third wave and skip over the middle one.

We took it once offshore 22 miles out of Galveston on a hot summer day when the seas were slick. Really hot but a lot of fun. We followed a buddy boat. That was the only time I filled the gas tank full (60 gal capacity). Most fishing trips used about 12 - 15 gallons unless we had a long run.

It is a great bay boat. I have got it up on plane in 18 inches of water with no problem.

About that 9 miles. It was foggy so it took at least an hour because we went really slow, and hugged the jetty as we were going out. All the big ships were anchored and no one was coming in to port or going out.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
@Herb Stoops

Tired of salmon, try Walleye. Not bottom feeders but a great game fish and very edible and under fished here in the PNW.
Years ago when we were building the St. Michelle winery at Patterson I moored my boat at Umatilla and got in on the sturgeon and walleye. You are right both are great eating and fun to catch.
But now I have my boat moored in the saltwater and pretty much just fish for salmon.
But if I was yopunger I would do as you say and go after the walleye again.

Herb

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Years ago when we were building the St. Michelle winery at Patterson I moored my boat at Umatilla and got in on the sturgeon and walleye. You are right both are great eating and fun to catch.
But now I have my boat moored in the saltwater and pretty much just fish for salmon.
But if I was yopunger I would do as you say and go after the walleye again.

Herb
Appreciate and understand the approach. Any day fishing is a day well spent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts