Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Duane keep your metal table tops waxed as gas heat puts out a lot of moisture. Other than that I really like gas heat. It's like a pot belly stove you can back up to it on a cold winter day.

Speaking of pot belly I got to go on a diet. :laugh2: :no:

Don

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Never mind; I just went back and looked at the pics again...noticed the yellow line coming off the side. Not kerosene then.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Never mind; I just went back and looked at the pics again...noticed the yellow line coming off the side. Not kerosene then.
it's main lining...

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I think the yellow cords belong to something else, Dan.
My guess is that it is electric, if it is gas it would probably have a bottle enclosed, anything combustible should be vented.
I had a unvented propane heater one time and it was supposed to be 0 emissions, but it gave me a headache anyway.
Herb

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
That looks like a propane/electric heater. The propane is connected on the right side. I use a propane space heater in my shop but let's just say the shop is less than air tight :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can''t speak for this one but I have a similar heater in my car garage it is natural gas does not need a vent , forget what size i have had it for 5-6 years.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
I am hoping to go electric . I was going to go with a radiant gas heater but I'm hoping a 1500 watt electric ceramic heater will keep it above freezing after its insulated. I don't need 70 degrees , just want it warm enough where I can't see my breath and my glue doesn't freeze

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Hawkeye, I have lived in several houses with natural gas heat and never experienced a moisture problem that you mention. Gas heat gives off a bit of moisture but it basically dries the air- that is why furniture will shrink and loosen in the winter plus you get static electricity from the dry air. I lived in a house in Cincinnati that had gas heat and a humidifier. If I ever went to gas heat, I would install a humidifier in a minute. Makes the house feel warmer; sort of like the heat index in the summer with the humidity in the air.
Hope it is for unvented use. My old LP gas heater requires a window above it to be cracked about 2 inches. But I don't use it now as we have two electric heaters for downstairs and upstairs- saves a ton on the electric bill on the heat pump and the gas bill.

I used to shuffle my feet on the carpet and touch my little cousin's ear and shock the XXXX out of him! >:) Now he's 6-3 and tips the scales at about 265. I call him sir. :wink:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It is a Mr. Heater brand, 20,000 BTU, ventless natural gas unit. Has an electric fan. I have the gas line hooked directly to the main gas line of the house. Bought it at Rural King for $160 and I have another $40 in the hookups, so $200 total, and now my shop has heat.

I've had gas heat for years in every house I've lived in. Always a dry heat. We do run a humidifier in the winter. But the new garage shop has no insulation (whole house has none! Jerks who built it cut corners everywhere!) so I will take care to keep the metal surfaces waxed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts