Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After outgrowing 2 Rockler router bit storage solutions, I finally decided to deal with the problem and get the bits off my bench. This started out as a simple basic storage solution – talk about gilding the Out House. I guess I must have too much time on my hands …or maybe I’m just finding excuses to avoid things I should really be doing.

Now I have a storage solution that should last for a while, but I still have no wall space on which to hang it. On the positive, I made a good dent in my scrap pile. The ½” shelves are removable / replaceable allowing for different configurations. I should have left a taller space for the bottom shelf. The plywood shelves shouldn’t swell too much and pinch the bits, but I did burnish some paste wax into all the holes. I left ¼” through holes in the bottom frame just in case any of the ½” bits get bound up and need to be punched out.

All things being equal, I should have spent the time building a real cabinet for my “portable” router table (which hasn’t been put away in over a year). I guess that task must be like insulating workshop walls – something I’ll get to eventually.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,167 Posts
That looks really nice Mark.

Reactions: Moz

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
That looks FANTASTIC! With a couple of French Cleats it should fit almost anywhere!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
nicely done Mark but it's soon to be too small...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aw, you had to say it :( I couldn't figure out how to work the 4th dimension into the storage solution. I would replace the 1/4" shelves with 1/2" but I like my Colt too much.

·
Registered
901 Posts
That's really nicely done! You can double your capacity with another carcass and a couple of good strong hinges.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Good idea.

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
Great work on the storage case Mark . Haven't seen one nicer ;)

·
Premium Member
19,010 Posts
This rat loves it. Time to build one of these. One thing I will do differently is to set up pictures of the kind of profile each bit makes, same with sets (clustered together). I don't do enough fancy routing to remember exactly which bit cuts what, so pictures would help. Nice finish and the glass front is terrific.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
As I have been taught in Engineering School:

Two dimension = x and y. X is left and right. Y is up and down. Flat and all on the same horizontal plane.

Three dimension = x and y as stated above. Z is the third dimension and is perpendicular to the plane defined by the first two dimensions.

The fourth dimension is time = the only way for two things to occupy the same place is time differential, think of a theater seat.

There are, of course; CNC methods that utilize fourth and fifth axes - but that's a whole different discussion.

So, yes - in fact; one could have a 4d router bit case by having interchangeable shelving / bit holders. This adds the time element.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This rat loves it. Time to build one of these. One thing I will do differently is to set up pictures of the kind of profile each bit makes, same with sets (clustered together). I don't do enough fancy routing to remember exactly which bit cuts what, so pictures would help. Nice finish and the glass front is terrific.
The front is in fact acrylic which I'll never be able to replace without tearing the frame apart. I didn't need another opportunity to cut myself and glass just had "Break Me" written all over it.

Thanks for all the complements guys.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I have been taught in Engineering School:

Two dimension = x and y. X is left and right. Y is up and down. Flat and all on the same horizontal plane.

Three dimension = x and y as stated above. Z is the third dimension and is perpendicular to the plane defined by the first two dimensions.

The fourth dimension is time = the only way for two things to occupy the same place is time differential, think of a theater seat.

There are, of course; CNC methods that utilize fourth and fifth axes - but that's a whole different discussion.

So, yes - in fact; one could have a 4d router bit case by having interchangeable shelving / bit holders. This adds the time element.

Nice try, thanks for the encouragement on the 4D but I was shooting more for something along lines of time phasing in the same space. All my storage issues would be solved!

(I'm familiar the CNC axes - that doesn't count - its still in the same 3 dimensional space, just difference reference frames).

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is a really nice router bit case! Great job.

Quick question....is there a way to mark a thread as a favorite..... so I can go back to reference great pieces like this??

Don't mean to hijack your thread!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts