Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's the backstory.
My neighbour's house is adjacent to an empty 1/2 acre lot. It was recently bought and the new owner has spent the last couple of months clearcutting the whole thing, except for a few big conifers at the front and back. He left one pretty good sized D. Fir standing about half way back and right on her fence line.
She, my neighbour, expressed grave concerns about leaving this one big tree standing alone, especially as the new guy had thoroughly churned up his lot, pulling stumps and roots with his excavator! You know where this is going don't you...
OK; so last night we had a wicked wind storm and this orphan came down at 3:00AM. Took out her electrical service, her new fence, landed on her garden shed, and damaged a bunch of specimen trees and shrubs.
Oh, the good news? I scored big time on free D. Fir firewood!! :)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
good news for you...
bad news for the new neighbor...

Reactions: old55 and jj777746

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
the one that lost the tree...
is she the same one that had the table shatter????

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
In Alberta where I used to work , there getting over 100 mph winds . I feel fortunate,as we’ve had great weather 2 hours west of the crowsnest.
Been breezy at night ,but nothing major .

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Well, here's the backstory.
My neighbour's house is adjacent to an empty 1/2 acre lot. It was recently bought and the new owner has spent the last couple of months clearcutting the whole thing, except for a few big conifers at the front and back. He left one pretty good sized D. Fir standing about half way back and right on her fence line.
She, my neighbour, expressed grave concerns about leaving this one big tree standing alone, especially as the new guy had thoroughly churned up his lot, pulling stumps and roots with his excavator! You know where this is going don't you...
OK; so last night we had a wicked wind storm and this orphan came down at 3:00AM. Took out her electrical service, her new fence, landed on her garden shed, and damaged a bunch of specimen trees and shrubs.
Oh, the good news? I scored big time on free D. Fir firewood!! :)
Dan, the cost of a cheap lathe may be justified because Douglas fir turns well when green.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"...because Douglas fir turns well when green."
-Harry

...and burns well when dry! :)
Literally, I can't get any more tools into my shop, Harry. The one thing I really want is a drum sander but absolutely no space for it.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I am glad that no one was hurt by that falling tree, and it didn't fall on a house. Fences can be replaced.
My friend was out camping with some fellows last Nov. and a wind came up and as they were talking a cedar tree about 2' in diam. fell on them from behind. He was pinned under til he could be cut out by some other campers. His leg and ankle were shattered.
After many operations and therapy he was just gaining on getting around when he fell at home and re-broke his ankle and had to have it fixed again, then when he was just about to walk with a cane, he had a stroke, and he is parallelized on the left side now, poor guy. He is only 51 years old.
Herb

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
"...because Douglas fir turns well when green."
-Harry

...and burns well when dry! :)
Literally, I can't get any more tools into my shop, Harry. The one thing I really want is a drum sander but absolutely no space for it.
There are so many costly tools made for very specific uses. But how many drums do you plan on sanding?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
this is making me rethink getting that hammer drill
if it was an air hammer would that be like pounding salt or sand...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
@DaninVan

Hopefully the landowner of the vacant lot has some insurance to cover the neighbor’s loss. But that is akin to spitting into the wind and hoping to stay dry.

Amazing that people never seem to understand that fir trees can’t stand alone. Similar outcome here in several high end developments where the developers left a few standing. After more than a few MacMansions were cleaved the building codes were modified to end the stupidity.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts