Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to use a router cutter to run along a piece of wood to straighten out a few spots. The cutter is straight sided and 3" long.

I started to cut and noticed some vibration, so stopped and checked everything.
this cutter, which i bought new and has only cut about 3 feet of wood, and has NOT been abused, is not square.

Using a good square and checking against the router plate, its not quite vertical. Its close, but I reckon 1 or maybe 2 degrees out. I rotated it 180 degrees, and the gap moved from the top to the bottom, so I know it isnt the 4 month old makita router, or the Kreg plate.
So, question time, Is this still usable or not? And if yes, will the slight angle cut a flat level surface or not?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
tom, so I know it isnt the 4 month old makita router, or the Kreg plate.
So, question time, Is this still usable or not? And if yes, will the slight angle cut a flat level surface or not?
all nos...

Reactions: rcp612

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I had a sneaky feeling you were going to say that.
Its annoying, its a good name cutter, used only to cut the router plate slot in my table. That was an expensive cut.
check to see if it's seated too deep into the router...
did you accidentally knock the bit the last time you used it...
it should still be under warranty.. you may be able to get an exchange...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If you can feel the vibration then it isn't good for the router's bearings either.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
it could throw a cutter too...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took it out and reset it, no change.
I keep all the cutters in a wooden base with holes drilled for them to stand in so they never touch any other metal, and it wasnt dropped by me.
problem is it was an ebay purchase, so returning it will be next to impossible, and even if I can, the shipping will be a significant portion of the replacement cost.

Oh well, its been at least a day since something went wrong....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
what brand is it???...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
you could contact Trend directly..
nothing to loose..

·
Registered
575 Posts
Have you tried any other bits to see if it the bit or the router out of line? And agree all nos, do not run a bit that is not running true.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Bob, when you say the cutter is not square I am wondering if the carbide is set with a slight rake to it? By this I mean the top edge leads the bottom edge when cutting. This is a way to increase the evacuation of the chips. Something better than a straight cutter but not as good as a spiral bit.

Trend is very good quality so if the bit is defective I am sure they will replace it at no charge. Can you take a photo of the bit to share with us? A side view and an end view would be preferred.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Bob, when you say the cutter is not square I am wondering if the carbide is set with a slight rake to it? By this I mean the top edge leads the bottom edge when cutting. This is a way to increase the evacuation of the chips. Something better than a straight cutter but not as good as a spiral bit.

Trend is very good quality so if the bit is defective I am sure they will replace it at no charge. Can you take a photo of the bit to share with us? A side view and an end view would be preferred.
I think he said that he checked it and rotated it 180deg. and it was out of vertical the opposite way.
Herb

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words. :)

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It could be that your router isn't sitting flat and because of the length of the bit it is only now showing up. Are you using the bit fully extended or only enough to get the job done? Try rolling the bit on a smooth surface and see if it rolls smoothly.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

been out all day, will take a pic tomorrow. The router is flat to the plate, and I used a square on the plate, alongside the bit. The angle changes with rotation. Top leans left, rotate 180 degree, top leans right.
I only checked because I'm getting so hung up on making flat sides on my small wood panels.
Its very small, dont think I can measure the angle, but I can see daylight between bit and square.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
2 cents more...If you have removed the base at some point, is it possible that some particles got underneath it? That would show up as the cutter not being perpendicular to the base. Just a thought. Hard to imagine that something that far off would have gotten through Trend's QC process.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A picture is worth a thousand words. :)
right, two pics, so thats 2,000 words saved. (g).
Its 0.9mm out in total. Thats 0.45each side from square, so, is this normal manufacturing tolerances?
Oh, and I'm not sure now what the make is. I thought it was trend, but theres no engraving on the shank, so I may be confused over that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts